starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re-worked squat check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yeah, I think my knees are moving back too much on the ascent. This video was from this morning and since I was so used to it happening, I never noticed it until you mentioned it. So during my later sets I was watching one of the SS demo online coach videos and trying to match my movements to looks more like theirs. I did about 7 sets and in the last two I get a few reps where I think things moved more as they should. I was running out of time and did not rest much from the 4th set on, so I imagine if I had more time for that they be a little more consistent. So what do you think?

9 13 17 - YouTube

Oh and thanks for all the help so far. I imagine you did not expect to keep at it this long when you first replied, but I appreciate it.

Why so many sets?

Your knees are still coming back soon.

No worries on replying. I like to help and I like to think that it makes me a better coach.

I mainly did so many to fit in the angles initially, but really it was because I felt like I was finally getting it closer to how it should be so I wanted to keep going with that feeling in my head. The training with Noah helped a lot, but I think my problem is without his verbal cues I forget how it felt since I focused on him saying it was good or not, so I naturally drift off since i "think" this way feels like it did with him.

ok, thanks! Were the last two sets or specifically the last one closer to what you have in mind or were they all still too bad?

Be careful with lots of extra sets. It can make you tired enough that your form will get wonky regardless of what you're trying to do.

Closer.

OK, I tried to really focus on hips straight up and keep my knees from moving as much as possible, along with trying to keep my chest "up" so it wont lag behind the rise up. I think they came out better this time, so what do you think?

9 15 17 - YouTube

They're getting better. You're still more "knee dominant" than you should be on the descent. Work on making your hips slide back more, earlier in the descent. You should be going down and up like a crane, not an elevator.

I tried sliding back more and less knees forward as you suggested. I kind of flopped around the first set and a little less the second, but I think I had it relatively dialed in on the third set especially when I slowed down my descent, so how did the third set look?

YouTube

Also, I will be away for work stuff, so I will be unable to squat again until Friday morning.

I only watched the third set. They look solid. Your head rises a little, work on that. Also, when you tighten up/valsalva/etc., are you sucking your stomach in?

No, I am not actively sucking it in, though if i had to describe the feeling when I tighten up, I feel more pressure on the sides than the front, but it is in the front too. On the sets here, I tried pushing more-so on the front to see if that makes a difference since you mentioned that and I had mixed results. I'll have to try it more to see if it improves on what I have been doing so far since Noah seemed OK when I was doing it in front of him.

Since I finally seem to be getting it thanks to your help, I wanted to show one or two more days worth to make sure I have it down and continue from there on my own.

YouTube

So with this one from today, I think I did better with my head not rising, but how do you find my knees? In the second set I'm just doing my usual push to the side like I did in set 1, but would you say they are caving? On the possibility you would say they are, the 3rd set I was actively pushing hard to the side from the start, but I am not sure if that would be crossing into excessive/not necessary territory now?

Oh and I did catch myself twisting on a rep or two which you can see a little bit, so that is something else I am conscious of and working on to correct.

Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Your knees are actually shooting out to the side a little bit too much. Overall, much better squats! Keep working on getting tighter (it's something we all need to do).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast