starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Post Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings,

I'm currently stuck at 194 and don't know what to do. I'm pretty sure that form is the major issue here, I can't tell exactly what I'm doing wrong but it just doesn't feel right when doing reps.

Sorry about the video quality, I know it isn't the best angle but I need to use the rack this way to avoid a mirror placed on the wall. I can provide a better angle on my next workout if needed.

Squat form check 194 pounds - YouTube

Thank you for your attention.

Yes, a different video shot from the rear 45 degree angle would help a lot. You are, however, going a bit too deep and you're keeping your knees too vertical. Let your knees travel forward another inch or two (until they are at or a little bit in front of your toes), but make sure they do this by the time you are halfway down. This will allow you to get bent over more and give you more hip drive.

Set the hooks one notch lower in the rack, too.

Hi Andrei,

1. Get yourself lifting shoes, This will help with quite a bit.
    2. Jeff is correct that you are going too deep on each rep, cut the reps off about 2 inches higher
    3. He is also correct that your shins are too vertical, but I think lifters would correct this issue by adding the slightly inclined heel.

nice hip drive, though!

Anna Marie, SSC

Thanks for all your answers. Lowering the pins fixed the elbow/biceps pain I had after sets, guess I was loading some of the weight on my elbows from unracking the bar too high. About the lifting shoes: I live on brazil, so it is quite difficult to find it here, as there are not many people looking for them, but I will definitely try to buy a pair in the future.

Can I post a video from today's workout with the re-worked form?
    Last edited by AndreiDecker; 08-18-2017 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreiDecker View Post
    Thanks for all your answers. Lowering the pins fixed the elbow/biceps pain I had after sets, guess I was loading some of the weight on my elbows from unracking the bar too high. About the lifting shoes: I live on brazil, so it is quite difficult to find it here, as there are not many people looking for them, but I will definitely try to buy a pair in the future.

Can I post a video from today's workout with the re-worked form?
    Please do!

Sorry for taking so long to post a reply. Should I post my new video here or create a new post?

Quote Originally Posted by AndreiDecker View Post
    Sorry for taking so long to post a reply. Should I post my new video here or create a new post?
    Yes, please!
    Anna Marie Oakes-Joudy, SSC

I would also add that you are diving to the bottom. Keep it controlled, keep it TIGHT.

Quote Originally Posted by SocalledStrength View Post
    I would also add that you are diving to the bottom. Keep it controlled, keep it TIGHT.
    didnt find a way to edit my post but i meant keeping a controlled descent would help solving going too deep.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the replies.

This is from my last workout on a light squat day. I think I fixed the knees issue and improved my form overall, using a more hip dominant squat. What are your thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast