starting strength gym

Thread: Getting down to grab the bar on deadlift

Default Getting down to grab the bar on deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Doesn't it make a difference if flexing the back is used to reach down to the bar, as opposed to using hip flexion to reach down to the bar?

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Huh?
    When getting down to grab the bar (Step 2), should I get down using hip flexion or lumbar flexion? Or do they both produce the same setup so it doesn't matter?

You pretty much have to do some of both to get down there. Once you're down there and have your grip, then your shins come in contact and you pull your back into extension. I guess if you had to choose, there's probably more hip flexion than lumbar flexion, but they're both moving to get you there.

just bend over and grab the damn bar. then set your back. simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    You pretty much have to do some of both to get down there. Once you're down there and have your grip, then your shins come in contact and you pull your back into extension. I guess if you had to choose, there's probably more hip flexion than lumbar flexion, but they're both moving to get you there.
    Got it, thanks. I just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right because I always get a completely horizontal back angle for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by Sandisk View Post
    Got it, thanks. I just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right because I always get a completely horizontal back angle for some reason
    Post a form check. Depending on your anthropometry, this could be right. Or you could be doing something wrong.

starting strength coach development program
    Some folks will mess up step 3 (bring the shins to the bar) by ONLY flexing at the ankles, instead of both the ankles and the knees. This error will not only results in a more horizontal back angle, but it will also put your weight on your toes and your shoulders well in front of the bar. Let's see a video to be sure.