starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form - First Fails

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia Inman View Post
    What you have to do is shove the knees forward/out and get them in place early, and at the same time shove your hips back. So, two joints going in opposite directions.

Once you're halfway down, just keep sitting the hips back and down while your knees remain locked in place.
    Thanks Mia for continued advice and support. I'm not going to post today's videos as I can see I still had forward knee movement in all of my work sets, even although I'm thinking through all these things and can visualise what needs to happen.

On the odd occasion when they stabilised about half way, they pushed out again at the bottom. Strangely they never knock over the TUBOW and I never feel particular weight on my toes, feels reasonably balanced over the mid foot.

Something to keep working on!

We always have something to keep working on :-)

Where are you putting the TUBOW? Right in front of your toes, or farther away?

We always have something to keep working on :-)

Where are you putting the TUBOW? Right in front of your toes, or farther away?
    Right in front yeah. Maybe I have some sort of weird anthoro.. anthop... leg geometry!

Quote Originally Posted by l33sco View Post
    Right in front yeah. Maybe I have some sort of weird anthoro.. anthop... leg geometry!
    :-) I struggle with that word as well.

The reason I ask is that in the videos, while it's hard to see your feet, it looks like your knees go well ahead of your toes. If so, you'd knock the TUBOW over.

I think a video of you squatting with the TUBOW would be valuable. One where we can see your feet, if at all possible given the geometry of your room.

I think a video of you squatting with the TUBOW would be valuable. .
    Ok, here we go... no TUBOW knocking, but still forward knee motion throughout?

TUBOW 100kg - YouTube

Not too bad. First rep was the worst in terms of knee movement. The others, you seemed to work to get the knees forward early which is what you want.

You did have a little knee slide at the bottom. You're going about an inch too deep on occasion, and you're letting your knees slide forward to get that extra depth.

So, tighten up from the very top and hold that tension as you descend. Stay tight as you hit depth and drive the hips back to the top (i.e. don't lift your chest)

Lastly, if you can get some squat shoes, they will very much help with your stability.

So, tighten up from the very top and hold that tension as you descend. Stay tight as you hit depth and drive the hips back to the top (i.e. don't lift your chest)

Lastly, if you can get some squat shoes, they will very much help with your stability.
    Ok so I got some shoes, and have been working back up in normal progression keeping a close eye on the knees. But must confess to not taking video as often as I should've. failed on the very last rep yesterday at 112.5. The middle work set felt tough but good so I was a bit surprised to fail on the last, but the 3rd and 4th reps were a grind and then just felt no bounce at the bottom of the 5th.

Felt my lower back fatigued after these but feels fine today, could've been a DL recovery thing from Monday (1 x 5 117.5kg)... those getting very tough now!

2nd Workset 112.5kg - YouTube

Fail 5th Rep @ 112.5 - YouTube

Glad to hear you got some shoes!

First, I think your feet are a little too close together. Move them apart an inch or two and see if that helps.

Next, really focus on reaching back with your hips. You start reaching back initially, but then finish the descent by squatting into your knees. This results in you being a little too upright with your knees still a little too far forward. If you reach back with your hips for the wall behind you as you descend, that will result in a more horizontal back angle, and less forward knee travel. Really reach back as hard and far as you can. Your back angle will be more horizontal, so get braced tighter.

Also, your knees. Shove them out sideways harder. Much harder. They're collapsing in a bit as you drive back up.

Lastly, your elbows are too high, your wrists are flexed and you're looking down between your feet. So, squeeze those elbows down and in and lift your chest before the start of each rep - see Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon. Get your wrists a little straighter if you can. If you're struggling with shoulder flexbility, check out Low Bar Position Stretch | Paul Horn. Stare at the bottom of the wall and get your head up a bit. Put a piece of tape on the wall to help you focus your eyes.

Summary - focus on 1 correction at a time, not all at once:
    1. Feet further apart
    2. Hips back hard throughout the descent
    3. Knees out sideways hard throughout the whole rep
    4. Elbows down and in/proud chest
    5. Eye gaze a few feet in front of you

Keep us posted.

I just logged in and had a look at your recent vidoes.
    Good improvement.
    As above, a little wider in the stance and drive your knees a little wider which should get your thighs out of the way of your torso so you can sit back into the squat more instead of jamming and compensating with knee forward movement over your foot as you hit depth.
    I wonder if you would benefit from a slightly wider grip and a very slightly lower bar position with sternum up (while keeping the more horizontal body angle)?
    Keep at it, mate. With that kind of musculature you will overtake me in no time.

starting strength coach development program
    Just took a look at this thread for the first time, and Mia already gave you a huge cue on the upper back. I had/still have the same problem of the elbows too high and rounding the upper back.

I realized I was reaching for depth with my head and chin, so try to avoid that and trust that keeping your feet apart and driving your knees out will allow proper depth..

You got this! Keep it up!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast