Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Me:
    Height: 6'4" (1.94 m)
    Weight: ~196 lbs (89 kg)

Video: Deadlift 1x5x160kg (352 lbs) - YouTube

I do 1x5 at 352 lbs (160 kg) in the video. Up to this point I hadn't failed a set yet and everything went smoothly progressing linearly.

This set was quite hard and on the last rep the bar slipped from my left hand (using mixed grip) and the bar did not stay horizontal. Yes, I have now bought chalk.

First question: The bump you see on my lower back while setting up is still there a little bit after setting up. I can't seem to get rid of it. Is it acceptable back rounding?
    Also, it looks like my technique varies a bit from rep to rep. This may be partly because sometimes I focused more on putting the weight more towards my heels, but I don't know if that helps or hurts (it looks like sometimes my hips start lower).

Second question: Should I count this set and move up, or try again, especially since the last rep was such a mess?

And besides that, please tell me everything else I do wrong.

It's hard to tell from this angle, but I think your stance is too wide. Narrow it up a little and then make sure you go through the 5 step set-up process. Start your pull by pulling backwards a little more, your first rep gets forward.
    Last edited by Jeff Illingworth; 08-18-2017 at 02:28 PM.

I will get a video from a 45 degree angle from the front next time, so you can see stance width as well. I thought that from this angle my back angle is clearer.

Thank you for the feedback!

You can see the bar move to the right as you bring the bar to your knees. The implies the bar is ahead of your midfoot. I suspect you aren't standing close enough to the bar. Reread the 4(.5) steps to a perfect deadlift.

As far as your back goes, try to stick your belly out too, that should help with the bump.

Chalk is good, and the first 4 reps were fast.

Thanks, Alexander.

Doesn't sticking out your belly (without a belt) reduce core tightness?

And when you say the first 4 reps are fast, do you mean that as a good thing, or do you mean I should take more time to set up between reps?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BojackHorseman View Post
    Doesn't sticking out your belly (without a belt) reduce core tightness?
    Not if you are doing an actual valsalva. Don't suck your stomach in.