starting strength gym

Thread: Another Squat Form Check

Default Another Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I posted a squat form check a few days ago and got some good critique. Notably, I was leading with my head, not hitting depth and was had some timing errors - 'you break at your knees first, then hinge your hips, then move your knees forward again.' Taking this into account, I worked up slowly focusing on trying to nail the form and ended up working at 110kg when it became apparent that any further increase would compromise form.

I've filmed all three sets. I don't think I've got the timing issue quite sorted, even when I think about sitting back first I still felt like I wanted to break at the knees. However, I think my depth and driving with the hips is better this time.
    Squat, 18/08, 1 - YouTube
    Squat, 18/08, 2 - YouTube
    Squat, 18/08, 3 - YouTube

I would appreciate any feedback offered.

Widen your stance a little bit. You may also, actually, have the bar just a bit too low.

I only watched the third video.
    The hip drive and depth are nice.
    Your stance is fine. The bar might be too low, but it doesn't seem to be moving so it's probably in the right position.

However, fix things in this order:
    1) Push your knees forward earlier and sit your ass back. Notice your knees in the third video; they move forward the entire time on the way down, and then they jerk forward at the very bottom. Your knees should be in their final position by about a half squat, and then you should sit your hips back and point your nipples to the ground to keep going.
    2) Your hands need to be further down. They're too high. A half inch should do it.