• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Link -> X - YouTube
    Last warm up set = 130kg x 1 x 2
    Working set = 150kg x 1 x 5
    Height = 6ft 5.5
    Age = 20

My upper back cant get into complete extension due to an anatomical kyphosis/hunchback.

I filmed my working set from the side as I wanted to see the degree of lumbar flexion

This is my 2nd time using a belt while deadlifting (I deloaded from 162.5kg). It was pretty uncomfortable in that when I was bent over, it was pressing into my abdomen and made me want to vomit. I was pretty close to vomiting so I took it off after my 4th rep. It also made getting tight pretty difficult

Thoughts/criticisms/suggestions?

Thanks

These look pretty good to me. You have a tendency to let the bar drift away from you a little bit just as you clear the floor. Keep it in tight.

It takes some time to get used to deadlifting in a belt, and to me it never felt as good as it does in the squat. You can try wearing it a hole looser or tilting it down in the front a bit. Those things sometimes help. Also, you don't spend a huge amount of time between reps, but the less time you spend at the bottom, the less time the belt is going to spend digging in.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    These look pretty good to me. You have a tendency to let the bar drift away from you a little bit just as you clear the floor. Keep it in tight.

It takes some time to get used to deadlifting in a belt, and to me it never felt as good as it does in the squat. You can try wearing it a hole looser or tilting it down in the front a bit. Those things sometimes help. Also, you don't spend a huge amount of time between reps, but the less time you spend at the bottom, the less time the belt is going to spend digging in.
    Thanks for the response.

I'll give the belt one more shot but if it is still giving me issues, I'll probably leave it.

Yeah I'm wearing it one hole looser than what I do for my squat.

It looks like you're wearing the belt too high. The holes should be right at the level of your belly button. Point your toes out a little more and shove your knees out more at the bottom. this will create some more space and allow you to get a better squeeze