starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outward pressure on foot during squat

Default Outward pressure on foot during squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've noticed that on a few reps per workout I have an outward pressure on my foot during my ascent. So while I am going up, it feels like I almost have to go on my pinky toe side of the foot just to keep going up.

Anyone know what this could be?

Here is a link to a video I made of my last set a week or so ago. I can't remember if it happened during this video or not, but I'm just posting this in case it helps someone get an idea of whats wrong.

I have got proper weightlifting shoes since that video, but I have only used them once so far and can't remember if I still had the problem or not.

Your toes seem to be angled out more than your knees. Maybe rotate your toes in to be directly in line underneath your knees?

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Your toes seem to be angled out more than your knees. Maybe rotate your toes in to be directly in line underneath your knees?
    I would agree with this . . . seeing what your seeing,

unless he is naturally duck footed of course.

As an aside . . .
    It is interesting to note, that the whole mid-foot is the center of balance thingy starts off with the foot in its natural position. Facing mostly forward.
    So when a person turns his foot outward to say 45 degs. or more, would(n't) the pressure felt not really be mid-foot any more.
    Changing your foot angle doesn't change the plumb line where the center of mass (BB+lifter) is.
    As your foot slowly rotates outward, the "pressure" center would get closER to the ball of the foot, or no?

I was thinking that maybe you should try some weightlifting shoes

OK, so lining the knees up with my toes happens in 1 of 2 ways. Are you guys recommending I push out with my knees more, or rather that I am angling the foot out too much? I know the SSC coach I saw 2 weeks ago did give me the knees out cue once or twice.

I will try to get some new videos with my lifting shoes, to see if the problem persists.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    I was thinking that maybe you should try some weightlifting shoes
    he said he got those, since this video.

But yeah, maybe its nothing

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    OK, so lining the knees up with my toes happens in 1 of 2 ways. Are you guys recommending I push out with my knees more, or rather that I am angling the foot out too much?

I will try to get some new videos with my lifting shoes, to see if the problem persists.
    I think, unless you are natural built that way, your feet MIGHT be angled out a little too much.
    We like what your knees are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I think, unless you are natural built that way, your feet MIGHT be angled out a little too much.
    We like what your knees are doing.
    Great. I will see if the problem persists with the lifting shoes and I will adjust the angle if it does.

Thanks for the help!

You guys see any other glaring problems?

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    he said he got those, since this video.

But yeah, maybe its nothing
    Hot damn. It's only Monday gentleman and I'm fucking up already. Probably shouldn't of stared at the eclipse without any glasses.

Yes try out the shoes some more though

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I am going to be the umpteenth person to agree with this. It looks like you are keeping your knees out but your toes are at an even wider angle. Basically frog feet. Bring your toes in some and see if it does anything for you. You also *might* be over-cuing knees out. I'm hesitant to say that since it is typically the opposite but since you saw an SSC you might be overcorrecting now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast