starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outward pressure on foot during squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I got my new squat shoes and I also brought down the angle a little. Last time I squatted I did not have that outward pressure feeling.

The other thing I was working on is that in the last few weeks I have not been fully locked out on top and a little bit in flexion. I did this to bring my back into a more horizontal position on decent and to make sure I get my hip drive in.

I tried fixing this crutch in this weeks sets (You can see on a few reps I actually remember to not bend over and straighten up). But when I fix this, I think I might lose my hip drive all over again. I can't tell for sure. I feel like when I have the hip drive, I get past parallel very easy (I think because I properly set my knees and kick my ass back). But these felt like I was right at the edge of proper depth and maybe lacked hip drive.

Am I overthinking or do you guys see what I'm talking about? Any advice?

August 23, 2017 - YouTube

You look like you may be going down a little fast on a couple, and a couple may be shy on depth. However, wearing black shorts makes it tough to see things. I have noticed for myself that squatting in shorts that are longer than my knees are no bueno. I feel like I hit depth in them but I'm not and everything is just off. Shorts to mid thigh are the best for me. May be something to think about. Or not. Just an observation. FYI I remember your first squat vid here. You have improved a lot. Keep killing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    You look like you may be going down a little fast on a couple, and a couple may be shy on depth. However, wearing black shorts makes it tough to see things. I have noticed for myself that squatting in shorts that are longer than my knees are no bueno. I feel like I hit depth in them but I'm not and everything is just off. Shorts to mid thigh are the best for me. May be something to think about. Or not. Just an observation. FYI I remember your first squat vid here. You have improved a lot. Keep killing it!
    Thanks man, it's pretty amazing being a novice. The weight feels heavy every single time, but somehow 5lb keeps getting put on the bar and lifted succesfully haha. Looks like we are in similar boats and your an inch taller and a month or so ahead. Hows 227 look on you with the shirt off? I'm at 201ish and shooting for 220 at 6ft.

I don't think the shorts thing is an issue for me since it's what I always use. I really think it's me not sticking my ass back far enough and back too upright. It happens everytime I try to take the flexion out at the top. Or I'm just going crazy over analyzing and just needed to add an inch of depth. I dunno.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    Thanks man, it's pretty amazing being a novice. The weight feels heavy every single time, but somehow 5lb keeps getting put on the bar and lifted succesfully haha. Looks like we are in similar boats and your an inch taller and a month or so ahead. Hows 227 look on you with the shirt off? I'm at 201ish and shooting for 220 at 6ft
    I know...the body's ability to adapt so quickly is incredible. I'm crushed by the end of my workouts...and it gets heavier each time I step in the gym but they always seem to get done. Crazy. Yeah I started my LP at 190ish maybe a little lower at the end of May and had some nice abs but that was really it. Now at 227 everything has filled out pretty well. Bigger chest, shoulders, back, traps, legs, etc. I can still see my upper abs OK but they are definitely not what they used to be and have definitely added on some fat. I'm quite pleased though, and I think you will be too

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12