starting strength gym

Thread: What the hell did I do to my back?

Default What the hell did I do to my back?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What the fuck did I just do - YouTube

First warmups went like normal but after my 3rd or 4th rep with 265 my lower back lit the hell up and now my back hurts any time I bend over at all. What do?

Maybe just slight overextension of your low back? It will probably go away on its own soon. I think the typical advice is "let the pain be your guide".

I've had something similar to this happen to be before on squats, and I think it was from a slight pelvic tilt and really tight hips. I took a few days off squats and every night before bed I did a bunch of hip stretches that did help. Is it pain to the left or right of your lower spine?

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Maybe just slight overextension of your low back? It will probably go away on its own soon. I think the typical advice is "let the pain be your guide".
    The buttwink/loss of extension (for deadlifts) is what I've basically attributed it to most of the time and just waited for it to handle itself. I've had some days that after training I'm basically useless all day and would love to reduce the frequency of it. Tweaked something Sunday doing a 145# power clean so I played squatting by ear today. Still benched and did my chins (despite pain while setting up on bench)

Quote Originally Posted by Thedshive View Post
    I've had something similar to this happen to be before on squats, and I think it was from a slight pelvic tilt and really tight hips. I took a few days off squats and every night before bed I did a bunch of hip stretches that did help. Is it pain to the left or right of your lower spine?
    Dead center. As bad as the pain was at the gym, I'm home now and the pain seems to have subsided. I guess we'll see how things go the next 2 days.

Your chest needs to be over more, your getting depth by moving your lumber. Lock that shit up.

You definitely have a decent amount of overextension in your back with these squats. This causes a lot of movement in your lumber when your back is forced to flatten out at the bottom of each rep. Make it a priority to fix this, especially if your back is still a bit tender your first couple of sessions back. Concentrate on bracing your abs tight at the top, then keep your low back flat throughout the rep. This might feel a little weird (it might even feel to you like your low back is in a bit of flexion) at first since your used to squatting in overextension, but that's okay. Good luck!
    Last edited by Caleb Krieg; 08-22-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    You definitely have a decent amount of overextension in your back with these squats. This causes a lot of movement in your lumber when your back is forced to flatten out at the bottom of each rep. Make it a priority to fix this, especially if your back is still a bit tender your first couple of sessions back. Concentrate on bracing your abs tight at the top, then keep your low back flat throughout the rep. This might feel a little weird (it might even feel to you like your low back is in a bit of flexion) at first since your used to squatting in overextension, but that's okay. Good luck!
    Agreed. You may even have to think about actively doing an "ab crunch" in order to get your spine neutral, rather than overextended. From the video it also looks like you are looking straight forward. Look down, lean over more, tight abs

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Agreed. You may even have to think about actively doing an "ab crunch" in order to get your spine neutral, rather than overextended. From the video it also looks like you are looking straight forward. Look down, lean over more, tight abs
    I tried the "ribs down into ab crunch" cue during Sundays training, how do these look? Also paused deadlifts destroyed me and I suspect my back angle is wrong due to my soft looking knees

Form check August 27th - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    These are looking better. Try adjusting your gaze 1-2 feet more closer in. Need to go about 2in deeper. You are lifting your chest about half way up. Don't do that. Drive your hips the WHOLE way up. Nice work