starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift upper back rounding

Default Deadlift upper back rounding

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have an issue with my upper back rounding on deadlifts. I have watched countless videos, read articles and can't quite seem to find something that has really helped me. I try the squeeze your chest up thing and that doesn't seem to do much. My ham strings feel very tight and my hips always want to drop when I try this. If I do manage to get a semi flat back then once I pull it will round.

My question is this, are there any exercises, cues, pointers etc that will help me perfect keeping my back flat?

Other useful information:

I have been doing the program for about 6 months now, with some stalls due to injuries.
    I am 5'11" 195lbs, and I am only deadlifting 220 as of my last set. I am afraid of continuing progression with my rounded back issue.
    I am a computer nerd/desk jockey so rounded back is sort of my default position.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone can offer.

Deadlift form check - YouTube
    Last edited by timistim; 08-22-2017 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added link to video of me deadlifting.

Maybe you can post a video of your deadlift.

First off, note that I posted a similar video with questions yesterday, so take this reply as nothing but another guy with similar issues who's working through them - I'm not a coach, and my deadlift set up is often ugly.

A video would be helpful.

That said, as a dude with short arms who massively struggles with hip dropping and / or flexion on set up, it helped me a lot when my SSC had me move my heels in a bit - thanks Mia. You might be pulling with your stance too wide. This also forces your arms out too far, which forces your torso to move down farther than it has to when grabbing the bar with your hands. That, combined with shoving my knees out HARD into my elbows before the "chest squeeze" phase had the effect of making my ROM feel shorter, and it gave my chest a little more effective ROM that I could "squeeze up" into. Make sure you're the right width, with an outward toe angle.

But again, you'll probably need to post a video.

Your entire back is rounding, not just your upper back. I would suggest that you follow the 5-step deadlift setup that's outlined in several places on here and then try to deadlift. Also, set yourself before each pull, don't just bounce and pull.

It doesn't look like you're trying to pull your chest up at all. Your entire back is rounded. Also, each rep of the deadlift starts on the floor. Don't touch-n-go.

Pretend you have something cool on the front of your t-shirt and you're trying really hard to show it to someone standing in front of you just before you break the bar off the floor.

Quite a few issues.

In general, re-read the set up chapter - a few of these things would go away with a super-literal reading of the SS setup. There's a bulleted list of only the relevant cues somewhere in the sticky within the SS coach area of the forum. Memorize that.
    You are doing your reps touch and go. Set the bar down and reset each rep.
    If you're setting up "SS style", don't try to do a hip hinge when grabbing the bar - just grab it with straight legs. I think you're trying to flatten your back and touch your shins to the bar when grabbing it - this order is off, and it could potentially result in you pushing the bar away due to bending your knees.
    You're trying to shift your weight backwards, then kinda-sorta trying to squeeze your chest up. Instead, Deliberately move your legs toward the bar and shove your knees out. Once your legs touch the bar, just squeeze your chest up hard and arch your back. I've seen and heard a number of helpful cues for how to do this, ranging from "point your butthole to the wall behind you" to "point your d**k between your legs".
    Again, this is all "do as I say not as I do" - my deadlift set up can get pretty ugly and I'm working on it - but hopefully something I've said is helpful, as I've probably spent more hours analyzing my awful pull than most people.
    Good luck!

I have tried to setup the way it is described in the book and from the videos that I have seen. The problem is that when I do that my back seems to round worse as I start with a round back to grab the bar. From there it is harder for me to get my back flat. I should mention that I have terrible flexibility in my hamstrings so I don't know if that is what keeps me from getting in the proper position. Thanks for the help so far everyone.

Again, as someone who's been there (and is still there to an extent) and hasn't mastered any of this, I'll say that following the set up exactly has gotten me the closest to correctness, and I've tried a number of other things, from other set ups to alterations on the book.

I've had some limited success with hamstring stretching in the form of essentially doing an RDL without any weight with my side to a mirror. I go down as far as I can without rounding and hold for 30 seconds. I repeat a couple more times, and I can typically get lower each time without flexion. With that said, I've found it to have very minimal long-term positive effect on my pull, provided I'm warming up properly.

Once you've re-read the cues and are doing your best to follow exactly, could you post a video from 45 degrees, from the rear, as suggested in the SS coach sticky? Can't really see any details of your stance from that angle. Wondering what your stance looks like. You should also try to find a SSC. They really do help.

If all else fails, you could deadlift off 4" or so blocks, following the set up EXACTLY as written, and see if you can get into extension. If you can, slowly lower the block height over time until you're pulling from the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    I have looked for an SSC coach in Austin and there is only one. The problem is that their rates make crossfit boxes look like a steal of a deal. There is a power lifting specific gym that is a lot cheaper that I think I might give a try for some personalized coaching. I figure if a power lifting gym can't coach the deadlift that would be a bad thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast