Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sscbr

Default Sscbr

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    STARTING STRENGTH CHEATER BARBELL ROWS

...these were pretty bad in my opinion.
    I would call them a SumoRow...but that would be an insult to the Sumo DL.

Why not do them strict? (stricter)
    Why not do them with an eccentric component?
    It's just an accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    STARTING STRENGTH CHEATER BARBELL ROWS

...these were pretty bad in my opinion.
    I would call them a SumoRow...but that would be an insult to the Sumo DL.
    I wanted to reply in the pressing thread but thought that would derail it and saw you made a topic here and actually wanted to discuss it.
    It's just an accessory.
    I thought this was weird too, but I think it's supposed to be closer to a DL variant lift than an assistance exercise similar to SLDL or deficit DL. Heavier weights can be used and more muscle is involved when done not strict, but I don't know if it's worth compromising the range of motion.
    I would guess that similar to the DL the point is just not the eccentric component.

This was explained quite clearly in the video. Walking them out of the rack, starting from the top and using the eccentric component is less strict because you cannot quantify the rep as well as you can when you do them from the floor. How slow do you go? How much do you bend your knees? How much do you bend your arms? If you start from the floor over the midfoot and touch at the same spot on the belly that is more easily measured. With the added benefit of being able to utilize more muscle mass and more weight

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    This was explained quite clearly in the video. Walking them out of the rack, starting from the top and using the eccentric component is less strict because you cannot quantify the rep as well as you can when you do them from the floor. How slow do you go? How much do you bend your knees? How much do you bend your arms? If you start from the floor over the midfoot and touch at the same spot on the belly that is more easily measured. With the added benefit of being able to utilize more muscle mass and more weight
    I don't he meant why not start them from the top, but why essentially drop them (as Rip put it) from the top of the rep?

This was explained quite clearly in the video. Walking them out of the rack, starting from the top and using the eccentric component is less strict because you cannot quantify the rep as well as you can when you do them from the floor. How slow do you go? How much do you bend your knees? How much do you bend your arms? If you start from the floor over the midfoot and touch at the same spot on the belly that is more easily measured.
    You can't quantify Rip's or Niki's reps either. . . or at least "as well".
    Just because the bar touches the chest means nothing.
    They are essentially just doing a bent-over-panda-high-pull. Essentially a kipping barbell row.
    They manipulate the amount of legs, back, heave, and amount of "panda" (chest-dip-to-bar) to accomplish touching the bar to the chest to varying degrees as the load increases.

A lot of flexion in the back too. I'll give Rip a pass on that.

And some controlled eccentric stimulus would be a good thing for the delts, lats, biceps, and upper back.
    You can start from the floor, and lower it controlled.

So is the point of this style of row to be a better assist for snatches and cleans?

Last edited by Satch12879; 08-23-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Not going to argue with morons.

Quote Originally Posted by shib View Post
    I don't he meant why not start them from the top, but why essentially drop them (as Rip put it) from the top of the rep?
    21:05. "You can hurt both distal and proximal bicep tendon trying to slow down the descent of the barbell row." Its all in there guys

You can't quantify Rip's or Niki's reps either. . . or at least "as well".
    Just because the bar touches the chest means nothing.
    They are essentially just doing a bent-over-panda-high-pull. Essentially a kipping barbell row.
    They manipulate the amount of legs, back, heave, and amount of "panda" (chest-dip-to-bar) to accomplish touching the bar to the chest to varying degrees as the load increases.

A lot of flexion in the back too. I'll give Rip a pass on that.

And some controlled eccentric stimulus would be a good thing for the delts, lats, biceps, and upper back.
    You can start from the floor, and lower it controlled.
    Please explain how any other version of a barbell row is more quantifiable than this way.
    Rip's back is set perfectly.
    Any extra activation of the delts, lats, biceps and upper back is offset by the increased pressure on the joints and tendons which you do not want

starting strength coach development program
    21:05. "You can hurt both distal and proximal bicep tendon trying to slow down the descent of the barbell row." Its all in there guys
    you could apply this "hurting" phenomenon to any movement with an eccentric component.

bench, squat, etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast