starting strength gym

Thread: Does being bowlegged impact squat/deadlift technique?

Default Does being bowlegged impact squat/deadlift technique?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So yea, somehow I made it to 33 without ever realizing I'm very noticeably bowlegged. I was saying something to my wife about how our daughter walks, and she said something to the effect of "well, she got it from you" which was when I realized just how bowlegged I am. Always just thought I had a weird stance/walk and left it at that.

In any event, would that affect the technique/cues I use when doing leg lifts? It does make sense why I've had to fight so hard to keep knees out on squats, but not sure whether this actually means anything in terms of training.

Actually, now I'm not sure if it's technically bowlegged or knock-kneed... Either way...

How about a video?

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    These are opposite conditions, iirc. Choose one.
    Lol, yes, I was thinking that the term "bowlegged" applied whether the legs were bowed in or out, but then wasn't sure and now am googling pictures of strangely bent legs...

The more general question remains, though: Is squatting with either condition a matter of forcing the knees, feet, etc. to where they "should" be or should lifts be approached differently? Obviously, if the latter, then the specifics, including the degree to which the condition exists, is more important.