starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat 315 and press 182.5 check please

Default Squat 315 and press 182.5 check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys!

Would like a squat and press check! The squats felt good except I notice I still have trouble with the bar riding up my back on the ascent. I widened my grip and that helped but it's still there. Tips would be greatly appreciated! Great to cross off that 315 milestone! Never done it before let alone for 3x5. My presses are getting pretty heavy and I feel like my bounce is off as is my finish at the top. I may switch to triples soon

Squat 315 3x5 (last set of 5 shown)

Sq check 8.26 - YouTube

Press 5,5,4 182.5 could only get first set
    Press check 8.26 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    I only looked at the presses. They looked pretty good. I'm not sure you get a ton out of the hip thrust based on the speed you execute it.
    Thanks! So you're saying that I should just stick to 1.0 style instead of 2.0? I did 1.0 for a little while. Stalled at 185. And then learned 2.0 on my back up. I seem to be slowing down at about the same weight although I do feel pretty inconsistent with the hip thrust...

Nitpicking a bit on your squats. You get onto your toes on a few of these reps, and you don't maintain extension of your back as well as you could. You also crank your elbows up on the ascent.
    Keep your elbows tucked back pulled to your sides, maintain your back angle and extension as you drive your hips up, and stay over midfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Grantham View Post
    Nitpicking a bit on your squats. You get onto your toes on a few of these reps, and you don't maintain extension of your back as well as you could. You also crank your elbows up on the ascent.
    Keep your elbows tucked back pulled to your sides, maintain your back angle and extension as you drive your hips up, and stay over midfoot.
    Thanks Michael. Yep my elbow crank has been plaguing me for a little bit now. Been trying different things but nothing has quite fixed it yet. It's better than it used to be but it still messes my squat up. Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post

In my own mind, I find it hard to concentrate on keeping the hip thrust consistent while holding a heavy barbell at my throat.
    Haha! Yeah, I agree. Next session I'll do 1.0 style and see if there is a difference.

Bar position looks about an inch high which is causing it to roll up your back and look more like a high bar on reps 4 and 5. Keep fingers over the bar and the bar down below the spine of the scapula. Squeeze your elbows against your ribs to maintain upper back tightness

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Bearss View Post
    Bar position looks about an inch high which is causing it to roll up your back and look more like a high bar on reps 4 and 5. Keep fingers over the bar and the bar down below the spine of the scapula. Squeeze your elbows against your ribs to maintain upper back tightness
    Got it. Thanks coach. I'll check back in and see if we got some improvements

Well...don't think we have any improvements today! First set of squats felt great (not filmed), but second and third were terrible. Only got three on last set. Second and last set are shown below. Bar is moving all over the place! It may still be too high. My stance felt inconsistent too. Damn I hate being a noob. Thank you for the help!
    320x5 set 2
    Sq check set 2 8.29 - YouTube
    320 set 3 x3
    Sq check set 3 8.29 - YouTube

You're moving around a lot for sure. I'd start by changing your unrack - get your feet more forward and your hips more back (more of a low bar back squat position). Maybe lower the hooks one notch. Once you're out, narrow your stance a bit and keep the Master Cue in mind.

Where do you train?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    You're moving around a lot for sure. I'd start by changing your unrack - get your feet more forward and your hips more back (more of a low bar back squat position). Maybe lower the hooks one notch. Once you're out, narrow your stance a bit and keep the Master Cue in mind.

Where do you train?
    I'll lower it another notch and work on the set up position and stance. Good chances. I'll train in good ol' Mizzippi (that's the southern way of saying it). I went and saw Alex Kennedy at ATL barbell in May and will most assuredly be trying to get with him again! He was great. Don't think I'll be able to get out there until the end of October/early November, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast