Thread: Squat Form Check Please

Default Squat Form Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi All,

Can I get a form check please.

VID_20170828_162410017.mp4 - YouTube

I can see that these are a bit high so I'll be working on that.

Thanks

P.S. Sorry about the underwear!

First - lower the hook a notch. They're a little high and will become a problem with heavy weights. You'll also be able to get set under the bar better that way.

Second - you need to tighten up, especially your upper back. Read the thoracic extension article. The relative softness is contributing to you getting off balance and bouncing around on a couple of the reps.

Third - keep your knees locked out where they're supposed to be. You're a little close on depth.

Agree with Jeff's assessments. Here are a few more things to consider:

1) Here is the article that will help with your upper back. Its hard to tell but make sure the bar is low enough on your back. It could be slightly high:

Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

2) It looks like you are looking straight down between your feet, but again this is hard to tell. This will put your cervical spine in a little too flexed position. You want your head and neck to stay in an anatomically neutral position, so keep your gaze at a spot 3-5 feet in front of your feet.

3) Point your toes out more and shove your knees out much harder. This should help you reach depth. Great work so far

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll work on these points over the next few workouts and hopefully see some improvement.

The article actually describes a few of the issues I've had, weight shifting on to my toes at the bottom and a bit of elbow pain. Hopefully this should help sort me out.

Thanks again.