starting strength gym

Thread: Squat lean correction?

Default Squat lean correction?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Video of my 3rd set of 5 with 405. Bar speed seems good but I would like thoughts on how to correct my lean out of the hole.
    Instagram

You're very upright. I'd suggest getting bent over more at the beginning and aiming your face and chest at the ground. You'll also need to lock your knees in place when you start the ascent as they're shooting back and popping your hips back and up.

Howdy. Your hips need to go back to start the squat instead of straight down. I tend to have the same issues. The position they get in on the way up is the position they should be in.

405 is good weight. Keep it going.

I will try to aiming toward the ground more. It makes me feel very off balance when I have tried it in the past but I just may need more reps with it.

Matt - I will try and push the hips back first. In the past that seemed to exaggerate my lean in the bottom. However I am working with a closer stance now so it may not be so bad. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Nhammer3000 View Post
    I will try to aiming toward the ground more. It makes me feel very off balance when I have tried it in the past but I just may need more reps with it.
    You're clearly quite comfortable moving some respectable weight and have gotten there using a more vertical form with less hip drive. Based on personal experience, it does take some time getting used to much of any form change at this point. I personally think it's worth the effort - but it's still a pain in the ass.

starting strength coach development program
    See how your hips are moving back out of the hole? See if you can drive them straight up. You may need to think about keeping your hips under you (an overcorrection).