starting strength gym

Thread: 240# garbage press

Default 240# garbage press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So, my press looks stupid. I didn't know I was bending at the knees on maximal attempts, but clearly I am--I'd ignored press form for a long time while I worked on my squat. How should I fix it? Just start filming more and practice until my knees obey me? Other major problems making me do it?

Press 240#... 2.5 reds? - YouTube

First off, you're strong, regardless of the form - nice.

I think it might help you to think "hips forward" - during the step in the press where you'd normally tighten up and shift the hips forward, you seem to be also bending your knees and consciously laying back. Obviously, yeah, thinking "knees straight" at the same time would help with that - focus on really tight quads - they should be sore after a heavy set, and that should help keep your legs extended. Also thinking "tight glutes"/("prison defense" as Chris Duffin calls it) might help you with moving your hips forward as opposed to just moving your torso back.

I also noticed you're walking the bar extremely far away from the rack, and then just dropping it instead of lowering it back down to the start position. Obviously, this is a 1rm attempt, but I'd say one step, two steps max per foot should get you plenty clear of the rack, and also should make it much easier to end a rep in the bottom without having to drop it.

First off, you're strong, regardless of the form - nice.

First, you're setting up really far from the rack - a step (or two max) per foot should be fine, and also should allow you to end the rep correctly, with the bar back at the start position, rather than having to drop it. You're also really letting your wrists get bent over - with that much weight, I'm surprised that doesn't hurt. Your grip might be just a tad wide, but it's hard to see from that angle for sure - make sure your forearms are perpendicular to the floor before the start of the press itself.

It looks like to start the rep, instead of just moving your hips forward, you're consciously laying your torso back (and less consciously bending your knees). To help with the layback, think "tight glutes" (or, per Chris Duffin, "prison defense"). Really tightening and flexing your whole body, ESPECIALLY the quads, will help keep your knees straight - your quads should be sore from heavy presses. I think just deloading and focusing on getting your whole body as utterly tight and flexed as possible will go a long way.

I apologize for essentially posting the same thing twice - the first post took a long time to actually render, and I thought it had been lost somewhere, so I retyped it.

thank, nkupianist, I think that gives me some good cues to think through on my next sets. thinking of flexing triceps is what helps me deadlift with straight arms; so it makes sense that flexing quads will help me keep from bending knees on press.

The whole thing looked rushed and unset. I would consider setting the hooks a notch higher. Get set and tight and get your air before you unrack and be prepared to press on the same breath. Walking back, breathing, and then trying to press can cost you some body tension (especially at heavy weights). You do want to squeeze everything hard. You should be close to cramping when you're squeezing right.

starting strength coach development program
    Can you film a set of 5? A 1RM by it's nature is not going to have great form...