starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Check [update2]

Default Deadlift Check [update2]

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys!

This is a continuation of a previous thread.

Here's the video (122.5kg / 270lb X 5). I'm sorry it doesn't have the setup.

I see my lower back rounding and I don't know the actual cause.

Also I don't know what happened on that 5th rep, that's why I had to let go of the bar and reset it.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

The set up would be nice to see because I don't think you did it right. That's part of the reason your back is rounding and the other reason is because you aren't keeping it in extension. Also, don't rush between reps - get set.

You are on your toes, putting your shoulders well in front of the bar. Watch your pull, everything rocks back to midfoot before the bar leaves the ground, allowing your back to round.

Be deliberate with the 5 step deadlift, specifically step 3. When you bring your shins to the bar, bend at the ankles AND THE KNEES to keep you mid foot. This is your one chance to drop your hips in the setup. Take advantage of it! But don't over do it, you will push the bar forward of midfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Razraal View Post
    Hey guys!

This is a continuation of a previous thread.

Here's the video (122.5kg / 270lb X 5). I'm sorry it doesn't have the setup.

I see my lower back rounding and I don't know the actual cause.

Also I don't know what happened on that 5th rep, that's why I had to let go of the bar and reset it.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
    Howdy Raz!
    Couple programming questions bud. You seem to be doing the same weight (270) that you did well over a month ago.
    1. Did you stop your LP/what's your programming like now?
    2. What's your bw been doing since then? I think you previously said your BW had stalled. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Howdy Raz!
    Couple programming questions bud. You seem to be doing the same weight (270) that you did well over a month ago.
    1. Did you stop your LP/what's your programming like now?
    I dragged my LP for way too long. Basically I started training around July/2016 with empty bar on most lifts except the Deadlift, but I count since September because I trained practically nothing in August.
    So, being a complete newb, sometimes taking weeks off because I had some pains that wouldn't go away, my progress was really slow and stalled a couple of times.
    I eventually changed my squats to 3x3 and later to 1x3 and 2 backoff triples with 95% weight of the triple. That didn't amount to much progress in the squat, but it allowed the other lifts to catch up, namely the presses.
    I'm currently running Texas Method, I'm going to have my first Intensity Day tomorrow ( Saturday 9th September).

2. What's your bw been doing since then? I think you previously said your BW had stalled. Good luck!!
    Bodyweight is slowly rising. I started lifting with 65kg / 143lb and currently I have roughly 78kg / 172lb. I think I was at around 76kg-77kg / 167lb-169lb last month.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I went away on vacation, and couldn't train for a week. When I returned I had to deload 10-15% off my lifting loads. That explains some of the delay. It's like 1 week off plus another 1/1.5 weeks to recover the previous loads with LP
    Last edited by Razraal; 09-08-2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Forgot some important sidenotes

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    The set up would be nice to see because I don't think you did it right. That's part of the reason your back is rounding and the other reason is because you aren't keeping it in extension. Also, don't rush between reps - get set.
    Tomorrow I'll pull and record with the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    You are on your toes, putting your shoulders well in front of the bar. Watch your pull, everything rocks back to midfoot before the bar leaves the ground, allowing your back to round.
    Now that you mention this, I checked my other deadlift videos, and on most of them I rock back to midfoot! And all this time I thought I was on my fucking midfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Razraal View Post
    I dragged my LP for way too long. Basically I started training around July/2016 with empty bar on most lifts except the Deadlift, but I count since September because I trained practically nothing in August.
    So, being a complete newb, sometimes taking weeks off because I had some pains that wouldn't go away, my progress was really slow and stalled a couple of times.
    I eventually changed my squats to 3x3 and later to 1x3 and 2 backoff triples with 95% weight of the triple. That didn't amount to much progress in the squat, but it allowed the other lifts to catch up, namely the presses.
    I'm currently running Texas Method, I'm going to have my first Intensity Day tomorrow ( Saturday 9th September).

Bodyweight is slowly rising. I started lifting with 65kg / 143lb and currently I have roughly 78kg / 172lb. I think I was at around 76kg-77kg / 167lb-169lb last month.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I went away on vacation, and couldn't train for a week. When I returned I had to deload 10-15% off my lifting loads. That explains some of the delay. It's like 1 week off plus another 1/1.5 weeks to recover the previous loads with LP
    Raz, you were 143 pounds in July 2016 and in a year you have only gained 30lbs? I looked back at your other thread and you were 172lbs then. I think in addition to your technique issues (as others have mentioned) your low bodyweight is also an issue. You don't seem like a terribly tall guy but, as an aside, coach Andy Baker is like 5'4 or 5'5 and is over 200lbs and SWOLE AF. Not telling you to fat fuck yourself but I think you can be more aggressive. Just my two cents bud

starting strength coach development program
    Raz, you were 143 pounds in July 2016 and in a year you have only gained 30lbs? I looked back at your other thread and you were 172lbs then. I think in addition to your technique issues (as others have mentioned) your low bodyweight is also an issue. You don't seem like a terribly tall guy but, as an aside, coach Andy Baker is like 5'4 or 5'5 and is over 200lbs and SWOLE AF. Not telling you to fat fuck yourself but I think you can be more aggressive. Just my two cents bud
    Yeah, I know. Thanks for the insight mate!