starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat-Depth Check

Default Squat-Depth Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    IMG_0129-007.jpg

Please let me know if this is deep enough to count as a full squat and, if not, any tips for how to get lower. (Even with very light weight, I have a hard time getting lower than this.) Thanks!

You are shallow, your knees are caved in, your knees are too far forward, and you are holding the bar wrong.

Please post a form check video from the rear 45 degree angle and we can help you fix these problems.

Thanks.

Here you go. Thanks for your help.

I'm trying to lean over, sit back, and shove my knees out, as Stating Strength directs. But somehow this doesn't quite look like the book.

No, the crease of your hip is not below the top of your patella ("depth"). Your stance may be too wide, which means your adductor extensibility is at its limit, before you can reach depth.

Are your shorts a stretchy material? If not, they could be limiting depth, too, but not as much of a factor as stance width.

Looks like a basement gym, given the carpet. If possible, a hard surface to squat on, along with weightlifting shoes, can only help.

Your stance is too wide. Bring it in the width of your foot on each side. You also really need to fix how you are holding the bar. Read and apply the thoracic extension article on here as well as the squat grip clrification stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Your stance is too wide. Bring it in the width of your foot on each side. You also really need to fix how you are holding the bar. Read and apply the thoracic extension article on here as well as the squat grip clrification stuff.
    Thanks' Jeff. I narrowed my stance and watched the video on the grip. Here's the result:

Thanks for any guidance anyone may wish to provide.

Most importantly, you're high-barring from the looks of it. The bar should be resting on the meat of the rear deltoid, and right now it looks to be on top of the traps. Your forearms are becoming perpendicular to the ground on the descent which isn't supposed to happen, but lets make the switch to low bar first and see what happens to the grip.

Secondly, you've brought your stance in too much. Bring it back out about 2 inches. Once you fix that, drive your knees out as hard as you can in order to reach depth.

starting strength coach development program
    Stance is a little too narrow now. The bar is too high on your back and you're pretty much doing a high bar squat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast