starting strength gym

Thread: (Still in the gym) Squat form check: do I really suck that much?

Default (Still in the gym) Squat form check: do I really suck that much?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone,

I was advised to post a form check after starting this thread (https://startingstrength.com/resourc...lp-squats.html).

Here is it: the first rep felt pretty good, on the second one I wasn't sure I hit depth (looking at the video, I can confirm I didn't). On the third rep I fell backwards a bit and it got very grindy. However, last time most of my reps looked like that so I was confident I could get up and get a couple more.

However, a trainer showed up and rescued me. He later explained that I was bending over way too much and I had to take off a lot of weight. What do I have to do? I'm pretty confident the amount of leaning is not an issue. I'm having a bit of a problem finding my balance since today I decided to widen my stance a bit but other than that everything was feeling very good.

Here's a video. Please, tell me what to do so I can fix my following sets (I'm still in the gym).

Shared album - Giorgio Capocasa - Google Photos

I just realized you're all in another timezone. I'll bench and deadlift and try keeping the squats for last. Sorry about double posting but I'm on mobile and I can't find the edit button.

There are several things here. First, you need to adjust your grip and tighten up your upper back. See how your wrists are rolling under the bar? They shouldn't do that. Your upper back needs to be set in extension. Read/watch these: Elbows, grip, thoracic extension.

You are also too upright on the squats and your knees aren't well controlled. At the beginning of the squat, your hips and knees need to break at the same time and then you need to bend over and aim your chest at the floor. Your knees should move forward to just over your toes by the time you are half way down and they should stay there until you are halfway back up (they should not shoot back the way they do in your video). These links may help: Hip drive, bending over.

It's hard to tell from this angle, but I think your stance may be a little too wide which is making it hard to keep your knees shoved out.

You are also not as tight/braced as you should be.

Remember the Master Cue!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    There are several things here. First, you need to adjust your grip and tighten up your upper back. See how your wrists are rolling under the bar? They shouldn't do that. Your upper back needs to be set in extension. Read/watch these: Elbows, grip, thoracic extension.

You are also too upright on the squats and your knees aren't well controlled. At the beginning of the squat, your hips and knees need to break at the same time and then you need to bend over and aim your chest at the floor. Your knees should move forward to just over your toes by the time you are half way down and they should stay there until you are halfway back up (they should not shoot back the way they do in your video). These links may help: Hip drive, bending over.

It's hard to tell from this angle, but I think your stance may be a little too wide which is making it hard to keep your knees shoved out.

You are also not as tight/braced as you should be.

Remember the Master Cue!
    Thank you very much! I've read the articles and I'll watch the videos as soon as I get home (didn't bring earphones).

I've done a quick lighter set forcing my back in extension and I really feel a difference. I'll post more videos if I find somebody to shoot them.

So I should bend over even more... How am I going to explain that to the trainer? He's gone now. Am I really in danger of immediate spinal snapping squatting unsupervised?

Quote Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
    So I should bend over even more... How am I going to explain that to the trainer? He's gone now. Am I really in danger of immediate spinal snapping squatting unsupervised?
    Are you paying the trainer to train you? If not, ignore him. If you are, you may find your money better spent elsewhere.

There are safety rails in that power rack; I suggest you use them.

It's a commercial gym. The guy has to be there and make sure we don't injure ourselves. I don't pay him directly but I have to do what he says or he won't let me train while he's there.
    I messed up with the height of the pins. Somebody was benching inside and I didn't adjust them. I'll check next time.

If I must, I can train when the trainer's not there while looking for another gym

I'll watch the videos and implement the cues on my next session. I hope I'll be able to film it. If so, can I post again?

I was able to squat that weight again for five. This time I didn't fall.

Thank you again!

You didn't reach depth on any of those. Your stance does look really wide, but maybe thats just camera angle tricks?

On a side note, I would have been pissed if a trainer went up and tried to pick up the bar like that. You definitely had it, and he made you miss a rep that you would have earned (if it hit depth I guess). Make sure to set your safeties to below the depth of your sqquat by a few inches, and tell the trainer not to ever touch the bar. If you can't finish a set, there is absolutely no danger in you stalling and then lowering it to the safeties. Thats what they are there for.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
    It's a commercial gym. The guy has to be there and make sure we don't injure ourselves. I don't pay him directly but I have to do what he says or he won't let me train while he's there.
    It sounds like it's time to find a new gym... one that allows chalk and correct lifting form.