starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat Mid-foot Balance Problem

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I love you for actually having info on what your back injury is. that is good to know so knowing that. . .

the primary healing phase of your herniated disk has long sense been over. In other words, you should (not Dr. Feigenbaum here) be able to lift without it impacting you severely. From my understanding, the best thing you can do to alleviate the long term symptoms of a disc herniation is to strengthen the support musculature of the spine. Basically what these means is watch your form and don't do the same shit that caused it in the first place. Your use of caution is beyond warranted and that's totally chill.

I also love you for clearly taking the cues into consideration. Much progress. A bit of weight shifting around as you get used to the new form is totally fine. If you find yourself going on the balls of your foot don't hesitate to think 'heels'. Keep your knees solid. Set them earlier and hold them there. Your knees should not move in the second half of the descent. Also, if you notice at the bottom that you are obtaining depth by sacrificing tightness. Stay tight and cut out the bottom inch of your squat. If this results in a

I'm still having a lot of trouble with this. Can't seem to replicate the other video. If I think nipples to the floor I get in a position that's really bent over and even further out from mid foot. If I cue hips back the form doesn't see a positive change. Another thing I should have mentioned is that I squat with orthotics in my shoes. I don't know if this is contributing.
    Also, do certain people need knees behind toes if their anthropometry requires it? I feel like if I get my knees back more I can get into the proper position. Thanks.

Even when I'm standing in place before each rep the bar seems to be forward of mid foot.

Not sure what your thought process is when you're actually squatting. If it is essentially what you posted here, then you need to limit it to, like, one word cues, like "heels", as others have said. I think you'd get good results from one word cues.

Are you sure your knees are out far enough? When I would halt the forward progress of my knees directly at the tip of my shoe, I had a world of problems keeping the bar over the mid foot. I had to actually start placing the TUBOW 1-2 inches in front of my toe to fix the problem. Not saying you have the same problem, but maybe try getting into a squat without the bar, balance over the mid foot, and then place the TUBOW where your knee is and see where that is relative to your foot. You should put the TUBOW there every time.

In regards to the back pain, I herniated a disc a while back and I did the Bill Starr rehab protocol to fix it. Took about 2 weeks and all my pain went away.

How to Rehab Muscle Strains and Tears | The Art of Manliness

I know the article says it's primarily for muscle tears, but I was able to use it to great effect. By following the protocol you cause a lot of blood to rush to the injured area, which aids in the recovery.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Phoenix Pennisi View Post
    Are you sure your knees are out far enough? When I would halt the forward progress of my knees directly at the tip of my shoe, I had a world of problems keeping the bar over the mid foot. I had to actually start placing the TUBOW 1-2 inches in front of my toe to fix the problem. Not saying you have the same problem, but maybe try getting into a squat without the bar, balance over the mid foot, and then place the TUBOW where your knee is and see where that is relative to your foot. You should put the TUBOW there every time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Phoenix Pennisi View Post
    In regards to the back pain, I herniated a disc a while back and I did the Bill Starr rehab protocol to fix it. Took about 2 weeks and all my pain went away.

How to Rehab Muscle Strains and Tears | The Art of Manliness

I know the article says it's primarily for muscle tears, but I was able to use it to great effect. By following the protocol you cause a lot of blood to rush to the injured area, which aids in the recovery.

I have been playing with the knees out distance. At first I thought the knees at the toes position was helping, but today I tried it with the one inch spacing as recommended in the book and I think it was better. I also think that I have previously been neglecting the impact of the perspective of the camera filming these sets. I am only using my phone to video and I feel that the perspective may have me thinking the bar is more forward than it really is. I filmed my work sets today with more attention paid to aligning the camera to the barbell's position over mid foot and it did look better, but still not perfect. I will record Tuesday's work sets with these adjustments and post them.

I've also seen the Starr rehab posts on here when I was doing research for rehab methods in the past. I noticed it was for muscle injuries so I chose to do what I described above. My back has been pretty good lately with my return to LP.

On a side note, I am running a Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday split, alternating Barbell rows in place of power cleans. So I am doing barbell rows twice one week, then deadlifting twice the next week. Now I am second guessing this decision and thinking maybe this lacks frequency for the deadlift? My deadlift sits at 230 lbs. Opinions on increasing the frequency, please?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12