starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ugly Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks, Jeff. Yeah, some reps were definitely better than others. Like with anything, I know it's going to take time and practice to really get this form to stick.

As for the mirror, I know I have a tendency to want to glance up at the mirror when I face it, so I usually do turn around. I mainly set up facing it for the sake of the video - with the wall/mirror so close to the rack, I would have to film from the front 45 if I turned around. I assume that a rear 45 angle is easier to analyze, right?

Quote Originally Posted by NEB92 View Post
    As for the mirror, I know I have a tendency to want to glance up at the mirror when I face it, so I usually do turn around. I mainly set up facing it for the sake of the video - with the wall/mirror so close to the rack, I would have to film from the front 45 if I turned around. I assume that a rear 45 angle is easier to analyze, right?
    Yep. The rear 45 is usually the best angle.

Just an update: My form has been looking pretty solid since I last posted a video here. This morning, however, some things felt/looked off for the first time in a few weeks. I know consistency is key and I don't want to slip back into bad habits. Video is below:

What I noticed: After the first rep, I start to inexplicably lift my head as I make my ascent out of the bottom (and even on the first rep I halfway did it). This is concerning because I didn't even feel myself doing it during the sets. I had been doing a good job of keeping my chin tucked and my gaze down before today. Also, it's not nearly as bad as before, but it looks like I'm still shifting my weight back onto my heels a little too much when I start the movement.

I should also add that I've been making 10 lb jumps every workout since I reset to correct my form, because the weight hasn't felt very heavy up until today. Maybe jumping from 285 to 295 was pushing it a little and caused some breakdowns? I also was forced to miss my Wednesday workout where I do recovery squats, so I missed out on that day to grease the groove.

Let me know what you all see. Thanks!

Yeah, you're lifting your head, elbows some, and your chest. Make sure you're not letting your upper back get soft and then just really work on keeping your face aimed down. If you can't get yourself to consciously do it, use the tennis ball trick.

For the heels, part of it is how you're tightening. You're sort of tightening up/back instead of squeezing. Try putting the hooks one notch lower in the rack to force you down some. When you go to tighten, before you do anything else, take your breath. Take a deep breath like you're going to be underwater for about five minutes and make your abdominals expand when you do it. Then hold the breath and contract your abs hard. Don't suck them in, squeeze them down.

Bracing is honestly something I've never really given much thought. I just take deep breath and try to get tight. I'll try to pay more attention to what exactly I'm doing next time.

When I start my descent, it kind of looks like my hips are unlocking slightly before my knees are. I know that this should ideally happen simultaneously. Could this possibly also be causing my weight to shift back onto my heels?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by NEB92 View Post
    When I start my descent, it kind of looks like my hips are unlocking slightly before my knees are. I know that this should ideally happen simultaneously. Could this possibly also be causing my weight to shift back onto my heels?
    It could be. Just remember the Master Cue, that will help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12