starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Power Clean Check

Question Power Clean Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings from Hamburg, Germany, where finding a SS friendly Gym is next to impossible...

Anyway, It would be nice if I could get some feedback on my power clean. I have only recently started power cleaning, being a recent convert from Srontglifts 5x5. As such, I have had little practice, therefore the request for a form check.

The depicted set is #3 of 3 at 47.5kg. Body weight is 80.3kg if that's relevant. My Squat and Deadlift are way further in strenght than the power clean, since up to two weeks ago I was doing berbell rows as prescribed by SL.

A couple of things are evident to me:

1.- I'm not catching the bar right, I'm gripping completely and it is not resting on my front delts fully, I think.
    2.- I'm opening my legs when jumping. I suppose I do it to feel more stable, but It was kind of unconsciously.

Anything else you might spot would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings from the South of France, where finding an SS friendly gym is so hard I train outdoors.

There are many things that need improving in your PC, and one is most urgent than all the others:

- either you get regular plates
    - or you put some blocks under the plates you have, to bring your bar to the prescribed height.

Pulling with small plates it's just not the same thing; once you move to regular ones, you'll have to reset most of your movement.

As for the rest, your movement shows a clear pause after the bar reaches over the knee; it's like you do a two-parts action, with a little break in the middle to change the instruction sequence. Keeping your shoulders over the bar for longer might help (you dont' seem to be doing that, although camera angle does not help).

On top of that, your explosion upward is more potato souffle' than Bastille Day fireworks; it's a bit slow, and topped by some pretty lazy turn of elbows. You have to move up (imagine punching a hole in the ceiling with your head, for example), and you have to think yourself fast, much faster than you do now. It's going to take some practice, but start immediately to force your brain to think about moving your body much faster.
    It helps to really slam your elbows upwards; in a sense, thinking about finishing the lift fast will speed up the rest.

Last but not lest; you PCs are pretty similar to a lot of first attempts, so stick to it.

Hope this helps,

IPB

Have you seen this video? How to Power Clean with Mark Rippetoe | The Art of Manliness - YouTube

If you haven't, it will be very much helpful.

Thanks for the critique. I will ask the gym whether they can get a set of round plates. Will not keep my hope up, but cannot hurt to ask. The best I can do to correct that in the meantime is to use the 1'' - 1.5'' mats they have there. I don't know though if that's going to be enough.

I did notice I tend to do the movement in a two step fashion, first to the jump position and from there the jump.

I have seen the Art of Manliness video several times, but evidently I need to watch it 10 times more to stamp all the info on my brain. I will post a follow up after my next clean day, which is Wednesday.

Cheers,

Larry.

Follow Up

Hey, Guys

Finally Power Clean day again. Here's the video of the last set today. 50kg x 5. I did 4 sets instead of 3 since I need practice and the first 3 sets were not so demanding.

I got the starting position about 8cm higher using double mats. As soon as I get to 60kg and start using the bigger 20kg plates, that problem will solve itself. And still non-round plates, which is annoying but I'm looking to switch gym. Will test a Crossfit Box in the neighborhood, which looks to be very well equiped.

Would appreciate any remarks. Did I improve the form? It certainly felt better subjectively.

You need some adjustments to your set up. Narrow your stance, get much tighter and lift your chest (I'm guessing your deadlift needs some help, too). When you jump, you gotta jump. That's what makes the bar come up to your shoulders, not an arm pull.

Not a technique thing, but the program calls for 5 sets of 3 if you are running the Starting Strength Novice LP.

Thanks for the feedback. I need to reread the chapter on programing, really. I could have sweared the power clean was 3x5 as all the other, except the deadlift.

Well my deadlift shows some rounding of the back. Here is the most recent video from monday. That was 135kg @ 79,2kg BW. It felt pretty good, except for the damned belt. Tomorrow I won't use it for the deadlifts, it bothers me more than it helps

Watch and follow the 5-step deadlift setup. You end up a little back from the bar. I'd also have your narrow your stance about half of one foot's width. The big thing is getting your full back into extension. Get tight and lift the chest up before you start the pull. All of this is the same as how you should start the clean.

starting strength coach development program
    Thansk Jeff.

I watched the 5 Steps Setup video and tried again today. Went to a different Gym, which meant different environment, equipment, everything. I narrowed my stance a little bit and tried to follow the setup. I failed on the 4th rep at 140kg. I was surprised because 130x1 was easy. Maybe I did one too many warmup sets (60x5, 80x5, 100x5, 120x3, 130x1) and was already exhausted, or maybe it was all the changes. Anyway, next week I think I'll crack it. I'll post the video later today when I get home from work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast