Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Power Clean Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Work on starting the pull slower and then accelerate
    This.
    The point of the first pull is to move the bar from the ground to a position where it's ready for the second pull. Whether you get there in two seconds or two tenths makes little difference; but getting there in the wrong shape (shoulders back, bar going round the knees) is a bit no-no.
    You are in a hurry to get the bar to the knees; then you have to stop, because the bar and your body are not in the right position. You then restart, but you have lost the rhythm; you finish your clean at one third of the speed you would need for a proper one.
    So you have a fast start and a slow finish; pretty much the opposite of what you need.

Pull slowly from the floor.
    Make sure you keep your shoulders in front of the bar until it goes over the knees, at least.

Getting the bar in the right position above your knees is fundamental; if you can't do this properly, you won't be able to Power Clean properly.

This might sound a bit disheartening; it's normal, the PC needs a bit of time and practice to be performed with a modicum of proficiency. Stick to it, it's worth it.

IPB

Hey guys, I hope it's not a big deal that I'm mixing here the DL and PC. Today was DL day. I dropped to 130kg from 140kg on friday, in order to try to fix my back issues. I also tried to step maybe a couple of cm away from the bar. I'm still not getting the back extension, which is funny, because when I assume the position in front of the mirror without a bar to pull, I can certainly extend my back. Anyway it's the DL video from today:

Those octagonal plates aren't doing you any favors.

Set up just a little further back and widen your grip out about a finger width on each side. Make sure you're lifting your chest and face up as you pull yourself into extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Those octagonal plates aren't doing you any favors.

Set up just a little further back and widen your grip out about a finger width on each side. Make sure you're lifting your chest and face up as you pull yourself into extension.
    Nope. I hate them. I think I'll have to switch to the Crossfit Box in the neighborhood. They have round plates there. But no power racks with security pins. Or I'll keep looking.

So, back to Form, I was trying to keep my neck neutral, but here you are saying "face up". OK I'll try those tips next Monday (that seems like an eternity). Do you think it would hurt much my recovery if I would go and practice with light weights on Saturday? Say, do 3 or 5 sets at 85 kg, which is about 65% of this working set. Also would you recommend that I stay at 130, or even go lower, until I fix definitely my form issues?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate all the help.

I'd just wait until your normal lifting day, but it's up to you.

As far as work weight, just start fixing your form from your first warmup. You may well get to work weight with the form holding intact. If it starts going to hell, though, your work weight will be lower.

Hi Guys, It's me and my power cleans again. I managed today 5 sets of 3 with 60kg. Cleaning with round plates is so much better.

I was dumb and was droping carelessly the barbell. Next time I will catch it with my thighs and lower it in a controlled fashion. I'm still getting a rounded back here, although I believe it's not as bad as it was a couple of weeks ago. Catching the bar is still not ideal. I tend to squeeze the bar, instead of letting it go at the top of the flight, in order to catch it with my shoulders. I suppose I'm still intimidated by 60kg of metal flying in front of my face :-)

What do you think? I appreciate all the help!

Better than the last set you posted. Work on making your jump bigger.

By the way, good work controlling the initial pull from the ground.

starting strength coach development program
    Hello,

glad to see proper plates. The lift still seems made of slightly disconnected parts:
    - in the first part, you jerk the bar off the floor (yanking your upper back out of position in the process) and proceed with much haste to lift it to about mid thigh
    - in the second part, you apply the brakes and take a moment to ponder what to do next.
    - in the last part, you extend yourself with some volition, and land into the catch toes first.

I think you need to take more time to break the bar off the floor, and keep your upper back tight, shoulders swept a little back, everything locked and in control.
    Then, you need to control better the way you transfer the bar to the 'explode' position; I would say it would better, for now, to go a bit slower, to give you more time to prepare for the next phase, and remove that little pause you are showing now (having said that, getting rid of the pause it's fairly tricky, so no worries if you don't get it right away).

Then there is the explosion phase; in general,it's a bit slow, although it might be because 60Kg it's still too much for you. Think about moving your elbows faster.
    Also, lead heels first on the way to the platform; a good clean ends with a very loud BANG!

Keep working on this, you'll get there.
    Hope this helps,

IPB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123