starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yeah, you're right. My brain is telling my body to do what Starting Strength says. But something keeps getting lost between command and execution.

I'll keep at it, though. Since I read the book, focused on progressive loading, and focused on multi-joint barbell movements, I've felt a lot better. Now, if I can just get my form right, who knows? Maybe I'll accomplish something. I wish I'd read Starting Strength when I started lifting. Pretty much everything I was doing before I read the book was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortinbras View Post
    I wish I'd read Starting Strength when I started lifting. Pretty much everything I was doing before I read the book was wrong.
    But better late than never right?

Yeah, you're right. My brain is telling my body to do what Starting Strength says. But something keeps getting lost between command and execution.
    You wouldn't happen to be anywhere near a coach would you?

Ok. I re-read the chapter on the deadlift, watched the 5-step video, put plywood on the floor, practiced arching my lumbar spine, dropped the weight, narrowed the stance, and tried again:

I still think that, as the book tells me to expect, step 4 is the hardest to master. To get the back close to the illustration on page 107, I feel that I have to drop the hips a bit -- which you're not supposed to do. So, I still don't feel that step 4 is what it should be. As always, your thoughts are appreciated.

You set your low back a little less with each rep. While it at least isn't moving while you pull (which is good), it would be better if it was flatter to begin with. It will help.some mechanically if you get the weights to the same height as your feet. Put some plywood or house stall mat under the plates to lift them to the same height as your platform.

Push your stomach toward the ground before each pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    But better late than never right?

You wouldn't happen to be anywhere near a coach would you?
    Thanks. Unfortunately, no, I'm not near a coach. I thought about on line coaching, but I've reservations about the medium. Any thoughts on that issue?

You're right: I noticed that the plates being slightly lower than the plywood was not helpful. I'll follow your advice. Much appreciated.

Thanks. Unfortunately, no, I'm not near a coach. I thought about on line coaching, but I've reservations about the medium. Any thoughts on that issue?
    From what I've heard, the SSOC set up works pretty well.

I've been doing SSOC and can highly recommend it. It's not as good as in-person coaching but it's cheaper. Just the programming alone is worth the cost IMO...

Been doing SSOC as well. It is well worth it, even if you can only do it for a little while.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the feedback, gents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12