starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

This is 5 x 325

I'd appreciate any constructive criticism. Thanks.

Please read/watch and then follow the 5 step deadlift set up. Additionally, you should narrow your stance by the width of one of your feet.
    Finally, set the bar down quicker.

Thanks. I reviewed the video closely and tried to follow its guidance: feet, grip, knees, back, pull. Here is the result:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XBbmKT2zCBI

Please note this is from a warm up set. I hurt my neck on the my last working set @ 325 last week. I thought I was good to go today. My first rep @ 330 disabused me of that notion. I know critiquing a warm up set isn't ideal. But I'm anxious to correct my set up and would nonetheless appreciate any guidance.

You improved, but still a few things to fix.

1. You're to close to the bar, should about 1" from your shin, directly over the middle of your foot.

2. You're not setting your back hard enough, squeeze your chest up like your trying to point your nipples at the wall.

3. You're on your toes, after you've squeezed your chest up rock back slightly to get your weight back over mid-foot.

Thank you. I will follow this advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Patterson View Post
    You improved, but still a few things to fix.

1. You're to close to the bar, should about 1" from your shin, directly over the middle of your foot.

2. You're not setting your back hard enough, squeeze your chest up like your trying to point your nipples at the wall.

3. You're on your toes, after you've squeezed your chest up rock back slightly to get your weight back over mid-foot.
    I just tried to put this guidance into practice. Here's the result:

This is my third set of five reps @315. The drop in weight from 16 SEP is because I'm coming off a neck strain I experienced two weeks ago and, well, I'm weaker now than I was then.

I'd be grateful for any further advice. Thank you.

Your stance is too wide. Bring it in about a foot's width, maybe one and a half foot's width.

Your back is kind of a mess. You really never get any part of it locked in extension and it gets rounder as the set progresses. Work on aiming your butt up to the corner where the wall and ceiling meet behind you before you start each pull.

Agreed with Jeff.

Lay on your belly on the floor, once there try to lift your chest off the floor without using your arms then repeat 10-12 times. This is what we are going for with setting the upper back.

This video may be helpful:
    YouTube

My thanks to both of you. Back to the drawing board. . . .

starting strength coach development program
    Yea it looks like you're interpreting the "chest up" cue as "look up". It will take some work you'll get it. Who knew it was so hard to just use one's own fucking body?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast