starting strength gym

Thread: Help on squat

Default Help on squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip,

I have not had any luck with getting critique on my squat technique on my last few posts and was hoping you could help me out. I have been doing the program since mid August. Started around 165lb body weight, up to 175. I'm 25. Squat started around 135 and is up to 175. I included my squat, overhead press, and deadlift in case you wanted to see the others.

Squat- 175 3x5, final set

Press- 88 3x5, final set. Only got to 3 reps

Deadlift- 215 1x5

Also just want to say that I appreciate you putting your coaching information about SS online. Thanks for checking.

Where have you posted them?

They are linked above. You can click on "Squat" or "Press" or "Deadlift" and it will take you to a Youtube video.

I posted them in the technique forum, the subreddit for starting strength and another subreddit for weightlifting called r/weightroom.

Looks like they were responded to.

Just checked my profile and went to the individual posts and I do see the replies. The replies were not showing up in my notifications, so I assumed that the threads just got buried. Thank you for checking and your help.

While you are here, do you see anything that the other guys did not catch? If too busy, no worries. I can improve on what was said and try again later. Thank you for your help and have a nice day.

Squat:
    1. Get set and brace yourself harder. Valsalva hard.
    2. Narrow your stance about the width of your feet.
    3. At the beginning, break at the knees and chest simultaneously and then aim your chest at the ground right away. Keep it aimed at the ground until you are about halfway back up.
    4. Do not let your knees cave in (doing #2 will help).
    5. Stop your knees' forward movement sooner. They should only go a little past your toes and they should reach that point by the time you are halfway down and then they stay exactly there until you are halfway back up.
    6. You are leading up with your chest. Don't lift your head, don't lift your chest.

Press:
    1. Get set and brace yourself harder. Valsalva hard.
    2. Straighten your wrists and get your elbows a little more in front of the bar.
    3. I can't tell, but I think you think you are doing a 2.0 style press. Do not move your hips backwards. They snap forward which initiates the bounce from which you drive the bar up. Again, get set and brace yourself harder. Valsalva hard.
    4. Stop looking around. Pick a spot to look at and keep looking there.

Deadlift:
    1. Your stance is too wide. Narrow it to half the current width.
    2. Set yourself harder and lift your chest.
    3. Take the slack out of the bar before you pull.
    4. When you initiate the pull, pull up and back and lead with your chest.
    5. The point of the deadlift is the "up" part. Set the thing down quicker than you lift it.
    6. Follow the 5-step deadlift set up (outlined several places on here) exactly.
    7. Turn away from the mirror.

Where do you live?

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you, this is great! I will try it today and post some new videos. I am in AL.