starting strength gym

Thread: squat Form Check please

Default squat Form Check please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First time posting here. It's a great resource and I appreciate the opportunity to post here. Would seek out a coach or take a seminar but I'm in Japan so for now I have to rely on the book, Utube, my video recorder on my phone and here.

42y.o old male
    73kg (160lb)
    179cm (About 5ft9)

I'd appreciate any feedback at all on my squat form. I'm a complete beginner and have only been barbell training since June. I started with strong lifts 5x5 and have recently changed to 3x5 in line with the SS program. I've regularly refer to the book and all of Rips videos on tube, video myself and even have started using the Iron Path app to track bar path in the hope of improving my form but some more objective feedback would be very helpful.

I'm starting to struggle with heavier (to me!) squats. I guess they're always going to feel kinda heavy from now on. I started with the 20 kg bar as I'm kind of skinny and not much muscle mass on me. My squat is now at 46kg but I think a form check would would be helpful. I haven't failed any sets yet on squats but am sure my form is a little dodgy and am cautious about moving on. I'm also in joggers- not ideal - but I plan to get a pair of proper shoes soon if necessary.

Ive tried to follow all the posting rules but I've already broken one by wearing dark shorts. Sorry about that. Hopefully everything else is OK with the videos.

45* rear /side view
    YouTube

Side view
    YouTube

Rear view
    YouTube

Many thanks in advance.

Primary problem: the shoes. You'd be better off squatting in dress shoes.

It's throwing your weight forward at the bottom. Once you get the shoes, get your weight centered over midfoot, bend over more from the start, and get your hips back. Scratch your rear end on the wall behind you.

Good luck. Sit down, order some shoes, and eat.

Thanks Karl for your comments. I thought the shoes might be an issue, believe it or not I did try a pair of work shoes with hard heels early on! At lower weights when I've used the iron path app I've seen that my bar path is pretty much spot on but when the weight piles up I rock forward.

I've been looking at shoes today and will order a pair soon.

Cheers,
    Matt