starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I began Starting Strength back in May after 3 years of chronic lower back pain, and now going on one year of sciatic pain. I'm 29, and I've been to physical therapists, doctors, and personal trainers. So far nothing has fixed me aside from having temporary pain relief. Nothing fixed me to the point where I could squat down or pick something (or someone, like my children) up off the floor with confidence. I got up to 230lbs. on my squat about 2 months ago, but rushed it and didn't have good form, so I started over from scratch. I'm 6'1 and 204lbs. I am not new to lifting, but I am new to low bar squatting.

Also, sorry if this isn't a good angle for critiquing my squat. I never taped myself before all this. And sorry for all the word vomit. I appreciate any feedback y'all might be able to give me.

YouTube

Also, this is 225lbs. and, I believe, my third and last set of the day.

Please get a video from the rear 45 degree angle, there's a lot we can't see here.

Your stance is too wide and your knees are caving. You are tucking your hips at the top - don't do that. Use a different rack, I think you have the bar too high in the rack. You may also be holding the bar wrong, but can't tell from this angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Please get a video from the rear 45 degree angle, there's a lot we can't see here.

Your stance is too wide and your knees are caving. You are tucking your hips at the top - don't do that. Use a different rack, I think you have the bar too high in the rack. You may also be holding the bar wrong, but can't tell from this angle.
    Sorry about that. I'll get one tomorrow. Do you recommend me going up in weight like I usually would, or fix what issues you pointed out and stay at 225lbs? I appreciate the feedback on what you could see.

I would suggest filming every set, starting with your empty bar warmups. Watch each set and apply corrections (based on the above) as you go. Plan on going up in weight, but if you find yourself unable to increase the weight while maintaining your form corrections, that will be your new work weight. I suspect, though, that making the corrections will allow you to squat your planned work weight without any issues.

Will do, thank you.

I filmed every set, but only uploaded my first warmup set at 135lbs (I included more so you could see my full set up), and then my 2nd set of 235lbs, which turned out to be my last set. When I was going down on my 5th rep at 235lbs, I felt weird pop/shift in my hip flexor area followed by some pain. The pain went away as quickly as it came, and I really don't feel it at all right now, and it's been about an hour and a half since I got done. I also did not feel it during my deadlifts @ 190lbs. Anyway, I tried adjusting per your suggestions, and hopefully the camera angle is better on this one.

YouTube My first warmup set. You can see how low the bar is in the rack in this video.

YouTube 2nd/last set of squats.

Thanks for the feedback!

Your stance is still just a touch wide and your knees are still traveling a little bit too far forward. Shoes will help with the later.

Okay, thank you. Is it possible the wide stance caused some aggravation in my hip flexor? I'll look into getting some squat shoes before my next session. Thanks again.

starting strength coach development program
    It could be. Which hip?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast