starting strength gym

Thread: Garrett Blevins review on my squat

Default Garrett Blevins review on my squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok, so i've sent Garrett (who is a multiple world record holder in IPF) some clips to review my squat, and he was good enough to do it, but i think we are having some mismatch on the segment of breaking at the hips.

YouTube (to 8m50s)

As you'll see in the video, he sees in my squat an overextension caused by tilting my pelvis back (which happens naturally when i perform the valsalva) before the descent. But i do not think it's my pelvis that is tilting, but my hips breaking from locked position to a degree of forward lean. He suggests decending directly down which imo will result in too vertical back position, and me unable to use my back muscles and hamstrings efficiently.

If i purposely tilt my pelvis back (and then going into overextension), it's a totally different feeling from just breaking at my hips (which as i've said think what happens naturally when filling my whole torso with air).

I'm asking for another professional opinion here on the forum, because in the end i may be the one who is incorrect.

NB: I don't have low back issues from squating (maybe some pains from too much sitting), and i feel fairly efficient when performing the squat.

Here is more closeup view on my squat: YouTube

Thanks!!!

Your video is less than ideal. Next time, please provide one filmed at hip height and shot from the rear 45 degree view. There is a lot that can't be seen here. Minimally, you are far too loose. Get tighter and valsalva harder. Stop your knees from going so far forward.

Thank you for your feedback! I will try to provide some decent footage on my next training session.

Sets of fiveh' on the squat, with no belt. Felt kinda off today so the bar drove me forward on a rep or two, because i coudn't get tight enough.

Bar looks a little high on my back, but it isn't really. When i narrow grip the bar sometimes at the bottom position i'm unintentionally pushing it forward, so i get off balance.

Overall, whatcha' think? Will appriciate all opinions.

Note: yeah, shoes suck.

Where do you train?

The biggest thing is tightness. This specifically includes your upper back and how you're gripping the bar. Specifically, read/watch these and apply what they discuss: thoracic extension, squat grip, and elbows. If you have a belt, wear it regularly. It will help train tightness better and more quickly than lifting without a belt. You can always stop wearing the belt later once you've better mastered tightness.

You may have your feet, particularly the left one, turned out too much (could also be an artifact of the video).

starting strength coach development program
    I train in a regular fitness gym (seen in the previous video) in my hometown in Bulgaria. This footage was taken at a weigthlifting gym, where my girlfriend trains.

About the left foot, the shoes i'm wearing there are sloppy, so this could be the effect of it. I'm currently looking for buying a squat shoes, but once they ship them here, they easily get sold out.

Thank you very much on your criticism and articles you've shared with me.

Cheers!