starting strength gym

Thread: DL 320lb form check

Default DL 320lb form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So a couple things that I will acknowledge right away. I know I have a little bit of flexion in my back still and I know that I should be lifting in shoes. At the current time I'm still barely flexible enough to get into position and straighten my back, and thats with the added inch no shoes gets me. I basically slowed down on the last 2 reps because my grip was giving out. I hold it dual overhand and monkey style (in the finger tips) to give me every extra bit of distance to straighten my back. I'll have to probably change to alternate grip for the next jump.

You guys see any other glaring problems?

Thanks!

I would say the amount of flexion in your back is considerable and definitely the biggest issue here. This is more a matter of will and proprioception than it is flexibility. I bet if I were there yelling at you in person we could get your back extended. You need to just squeeze up harder and be more uncomfortable before you start the pull. Are you within driving distance of a coach?

If you're unable to see a coach, you could try progressing rack pulls to the floor to get yourself the feeling of setting your back properly. Start with the bar at knee height, video yourself, and ensure you are squeezing your back 100% flat. Then move down a hole doing the same thing and repeat... I looked back at your posts and noticed this has been something you've been struggling with for some time now...

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    I would say the amount of flexion in your back is considerable and definitely the biggest issue here. This is more a matter of will and proprioception than it is flexibility. I bet if I were there yelling at you in person we could get your back extended. You need to just squeeze up harder and be more uncomfortable before you start the pull. Are you within driving distance of a coach?
    I knew this would still come up, since the first reaction to a back in flexion is always thinking the person isn't trying.

I saw a coach 2-3 weeks ago... We probably spent 30 minutes on the deadlift trying to get me into position with no flexion. It is not me just bitching out. My back just will not straighten when I bend over. What you see there is me pulling it as straight as I can (very uncomfortable) and that's after 2 sets of RDL's to stretch me out. The coach also told me I have relatively short arms, which compounded with my flexibility is what's causing that problem.

It used to be even worse. The more flexible I'm getting the better I'm able to straighten my back. I don't know if I'm being dumb by continuing to pull while fixing this issue, but so far my back has felt GREAT! I use to pull it ALL THE TIME because of bad FORM or random daily activities. I haven't pulled it not once in the months since I've started working out again and using the SS instruction on lifts. My back always feels strong right after Deadlifts nowadays, and just normally sore on days after.
    Last edited by timelinex; 08-26-2017 at 07:03 PM.

It's usually the first reaction because in the majority of our experience we seldom come across a person whom we can't cue into the proper position on day one. Some people take a lot of coercing, but they still get there...

I'm not saying it's just you bitching out either. That's why I said it can be a matter of proprioception, meaning the awareness of controlling your back. This is why I mentioned the rack pulls in my next post. I like them better than RDL's for this purpose because it allows you to set your back "from the bottom" in a slightly easier pulling position.

Your arms do not appear that short to me. The bar looks to be hanging well below your crotch in the lockout position. There are lots of people who finish there pull almost in their lap.

Out of curiosity, what coach did you see?
    Last edited by Caleb Krieg; 08-26-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post

It used to be even worse. The more flexible I'm getting the better I'm able to straighten my back. I don't know if I'm being dumb by continuing to pull while fixing this issue, but so far my back has felt GREAT! I use to pull it ALL THE TIME because of bad FORM or random daily activities. I haven't pulled it not once in the months since I've started working out again and using the SS instruction on lifts. My back always feels strong right after Deadlifts nowadays, and just normally sore on days after.
    This is awesome! I am glad your back is feeling a lot better than it used to.

I wouldn't say you're being dumb, you should most definitely continue to pull while fixing it. Especially if it is continuing to improve. It's just best to get it squared away ASAP since you don't want it to be the thing limiting your deadlift as you progress toward heavier weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb Krieg View Post
    It's usually the first reaction because in the majority of our experience we seldom come across a person whom we can't cue into the proper position on day one. Some people take a lot of coercing, but they still get there...

I'm not saying it's just you bitching out either. That's why I said it can be a matter of proprioception, meaning the awareness of controlling your back. This is why I mentioned the rack pulls in my next post. I like them better than RDL's for this purpose because it allows you to set your back "from the bottom" in a slightly easier pulling position.

Your arms do not appear that short to me. The bar looks to be hanging well below your crotch in the lockout position. There are lots of people who finish there pull almost in their lap.

Out of curiosity, what coach did you see?
    I saw Robert Santana. My wife refused to the the OHP because of wrist pain before Robert helped her get the form down. Now she does it with no problem! We spent so much time on my deadlift that we didn't even get to benching and PC. I plan on making another visit within a few weeks though.

I think my wingspan is around 6ft which is also my height. Thats certainly not super short, but it's a few inches shorter than average and those are the inches I'm missing! We did the whole proprioception testing and I can straighten my lower back (standing, or laying on my belly). I can also straighten my lower back when not bent over that far.

Won't doing rack pulls keep driving the weight up, but leave me with a weakness pulling from the floor (by the time I can deadlift with a straight back). The reason for the RDL's is they stretch out my hamstrings. They are the only reason I can even finally come close to reaching the bar without bending my knees.

Very cool. I trust Robert 100%, so you are in good hands. I'm sure if he was having trouble getting you into position, then that's what the problem is. That's outstanding about your wife as well!

The rack pulls would only be temporary. The idea is to go to where you can set your back perfectly, and then move down the next workout. The goal is progressing you to the floor while maintaining perfect back position. This would happen over the course of a few workouts (not long enough to leave you with a "weakness"). If you feel like the RDL's are working and you are seeing content improvement in your position, then keep at it.

Also, more information in your original post will save me and others from making assumptions about your situation in the future. It would have helped to know Santana worked with you for awhile trying to fix the situation. Otherwise, you sound like a lot of other people who I have seen in person that told me the issue with their deadlift is flexibility when in reality it's not.

starting strength coach development program
    Up to 355 pounds now and looks like my back extension is getting better. I still lose a little of the extension on the lift, but I don't see as big of a curve anymore (Camera angle is a little bad since its so low). I think I need to start doing some kind of conditioning, as I am running out of breathe between reps!

YouTube

What do you guys think?