starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Post Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I'm posting sets 2 and 3. Training for an upcoming meet November 18th - first one. I haven't decided how to program this out, only had 2 months to prepare, which is fine. I want to run the linear progression for a month, and then maybe make deadlift a priority at the 30 day point along with getting used to heavier weight. Any input is appreciated. I had a client who was looking for a new challenge, we did the Spartan Race and the Tough Mudder together - which are not my cup of tea. So I told my client, I have a challenge for you. And we signed up, which is great because suddenly the training has meaning and I am prepping my food and getting lots of good nutrients. Wish I would have done this ages ago.

So, do my knees need to break sooner? Or is my body finding the best way to keep the bar over midfoot.

The book is very thorough, but I had to laugh when I searched for how to actually initiate the descent. Maybe it doesn't fucking matter. What I do know is that my knees are supposed to find their correct position soon into the movement and stop - but currently they are still moving near or at the bottom of the movement. So, I should bring the knees into the movement sooner by bending them sooner, correct?

"Assume the bottom position"
    "Just go on down to the bottom"
    "Assume the position"
    "Squat down, all the way"
    "Just go down and immediately come back up"

Hey,

You are correct, you need to break at your hips and knees at the same time. You not doing that results in he following:

1. Your knees slam forward at the bottom (knee slide). Get your knees and back angle into position halfway down and keep them there all the way down, see

2. Your balance is all over. First you are on your heels, then out of the hole more on your toes, then on the heel again which leads to a curved bar path which is inefficient.

See a good example at Minute 3:05 in this video:

Hope I can help

Thanks for that feedback