starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Form check Squats

Default Form check Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm new to the form checks. This is my first one. I noticed that some people post form checks in the SSC Q&A and some post here. What's the proper etiquette?

Here is my squat. This is my 3rd work set of 180 x 5. Looks like I'm not getting low enough depth. Although in my minds eye I felt like I was. I'm on my 4th week of LP. Thanks!

The video is a little dark, I'll try and work on that. Lighting isn't the best in my basement.

You can post form checks in either place. In the SSC Q&A, you'll only get feedback from an SSC. They are sometimes slower up there at replying than down here. Down here, anyone can give feedback. Sometimes you'll get SSCs giving feedback, sometimes people who aren't SSC (yet) but know what they're doing, sometimes complete crack-pots.

There's a lot to fix here. First, I would recommend putting the hooks one notch lower. When you get under the bar, make sure the bar is at the right point on your back and that the middle of your feet are also under the bar. This will put your hips back and you'll be starting from a better position. I think your stance is narrow, but it's hard to tell for sure with the lighting of the video.

You need to work on getting tighter (pretty much all of us do). Read/watch these in particular: thoracic extension and grip.

When you start the descent, the hips and knees need to break at the same time and then you need to immediately aim your chest at the ground (this includes aiming your face there too!). Keep them aimed there until you're almost back up to the top. Your knees will continue forward until they are at or just in front of your toes, but they need to get there by the time you are halfway down and then they stay there (not moving forward or back) until you are halfway back up.

Where do you live?

I'm in Boston. Unfortunately there isn't a single SSC in Massachusetts. Thanks for all of your feed back! I'll think about all you said and try and implement it next workout (tomorrow). Thanks again.

Here is me doing my 3rd and final set of 225lbs. I’ve been working on trying to get deeper and staying tight.

How do these look? I feel they are mich better than my first form check up above.

YouTube

These are better, but not quite right yet. You're too upright. Get bent over sooner and stay that way. Bring your feet in about an inch and then drive your knees out.

Thanks for your help Jeff! Here is tonight 3rd set at 235lbs. I narrowed my stance a bit and focused on driving my knees out. Felt like I was hitting good depth but the video looks like it says otherwise. 2nd rep is ugly as I wobbled a bit. I think I rocked onto the front of my feet as I think I was trying to lean over more.

YouTube

Joe, these look worse as far as depth goes. I'm not so sure that it's stance related as opposed to you are just not getting deep enough. Regardless, go ahead and put your feet back where they were. Keep your head a little more down, and push to get that last inch of depth. Keep yourself tight and try to be a little less hesitant on the way down. Check your knee sleeves, they look like they may not be fitting quite right.

Thanks for the feedback. I think my knee sleeves were too low. I’m new to wearing them.

Tomorrow I am going to say F it and will just try and focus only on knees out, bar over mid foot, and I am going to drop as deep into the hole as I can (actually further then I thought I can).

Other than that, does my back angle and hip drive look ok?

How are your squats without the sleeves?

You look like you have the right idea as far as your hips, etc., you're just not getting to depth.

starting strength coach development program
    I think a lot has to do with my foot placement. I was just practicing squating without a bar in my office and I feel like I can got much deeper if my feet are closer together. If I move my feet apart just an inch or so from that position, I feel like my hips get all bunched up at the bottom. I am going to measure the distance between my heels to see what it is. I might then put some tape on my floor to help me with the exact space between my heels.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast