starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check for Starting Strength novice

Default Squat form check for Starting Strength novice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, just began the Starting Strength novice program and would really appreciate feedback on my squat form.

Here is the third working set from my workout:

YouTube

To give some background, I have been doing CrossFit for 1.5 years, but I feel like my lack of strength is limiting further progress. So I am reading Starting Strength now and Practical Programming for Strength Training. My plan now is to follow Starting Strength until I have exhausted my potential for linear progression. In the meantime I plan to limit my CrossFit training so it doesn't interfere with recovery between workouts.

For convenience, below is the same video embedded into the post.

Thank you in advance!

Overall these look pretty nice.

You're going an inch and a half too deep. Drive your tailbone to the sky on the way up. And your first couple reps you sort of break your knees and rock onto your toes before initiating the squat. Don't do that. The last three reps you didn't do it.

Add more weight to the bar. Eat more food.

I agree with matt, however you need to break at your hips and knees at the same time. Also, more hip drive.

I wouldn't worry as much about depth, def agree about hip drive, but you just look generally unbalanced front to back. Before you go down, you breathe in, rock onto your toes and initiate the lift... when you're at the bottom I see your toes are off the ground in a couple of those... you need to concentrate on ensuring the weight is balanced over the mid-foot. Don't rock/fidget/etc. if you can help it.

Thank guys! I can notice these issues now that you have mentioned them, and will work on improving them.