starting strength gym

Thread: bar position for low bar squat

Default bar position for low bar squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've read the book, watched lots of video, but i'm still sitting here this am with sore scalpulas from bad bar position. does anyone have any tips to help me know when bar position is correct when I duck under the bar to start the set? I normally lift solo, and I've tried reaching around behind me to feel for correct position and that's not happening. any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can post a video to the technique board with a behind shot. This would probably be useful. Also, the typical answer for this is "lower than it is now". Typically having pain or bruising near the spine of the scapula implies that the bar is placed above or on the spine rather than beneath it. There should be no pain associated with the bar position. I position the bar such that I feel a "bump" in front of the bar, indicating that it is low enough. Your elbow position and thoracic extension should be correct or finding the right spot can be difficult. Also you may bruise slightly at heavier weights even if it is in the correct position.

A video would be helpful, but I've had issues with finding the right bar position in the past. The way I find the right spot is to take my normal grip (as narrow as I can while still being able to get under the bar) and then getting under the bar and placing it as low down as I can while keeping everything tight. While staying tight everywhere, I'll move the bar up my back (without unracking) until I feel it fall into a "slot" on my back. It should feel like it's on top of the posterior delts and below the traps. Once it's there, I lift my elbows slightly and hold my chest up, and that locks it into position.

Again, this is what worked for me in finding the right position, since I also had a hard time exactly locating the spine of the scapula, but a video would help in finding the right position.

I got some video today, I will edit a little and attempt to post. I like the idea of starting really low and pushing up into position before unracking. I will try that Tuesday. Thank you both for your replies.