starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power clean check

Default Power clean check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Can anyone help me fix this train wreck or should I just say "fuck it" and just start doing rows, RDL's, SLDL's, etc.?

5th set of 3 at 170#:

These really aren't too bad. Your initial set up looks a little loose and your hips are a touch too low. Remember, you should be setting up just as you would for a deadlift. You are, sometimes, jumping a little too soon. Also, when you do jump, think "hard feet" and plan on slamming them into the ground. The biggest problem, though, is the rack. You're catching the bar in your hand with your elbows under the bar instead of catching it on your delts with your elbows more forward. Take some time and get more comfortable in the front rack position. Put the bar in your cage and work on your rack position. For me, doing some front squats has helped an awful lot in getting used to the way the bar should be held and how it should ride.

Thanks Jeff. I'll give front squats a try to work on the rack.

Seems like I can get into a good rack position if I start there, but moving to it dynamically I hang onto the bar too long and end up catching it in my hands. I think it's a mental block from doing these in commercial gyms where dropping one might get you kicked out.

How do you hold the bar? Hook or hook-less?

It might also be worth your time to practice the first part of the Power Clean training progression regularly for awhile (as part of your clean warmp-up). Get the bar up in the rack position and work on dropping it down the front of your shirt a few times and focus on having your elbows up at the beginning.

Hook grip. I've considered doing warm-ups with the bar with just my middle finger and thumb around so I can't hang on to it.

I kind of think that doing a thumb and one finger grip is a bad idea. It's likely to mess with your pulling mechanics.

Probably right.

I'll give those suggestions a try. I think ingraining the rack position with some weight on the bar might help the most. Different feel than just the bar.

You need to loosen your hand position to allow the bar to get into your fingertips on the rack. I'd think about keeping my hands loose, then jumping and shoving your elbows hard forward and up to catch the bar on your delts.

I think you are jumping too early. You extend your knees too early, wich leads to the bar being far awy from your knees as it passes them. Try to pull more patiently until you hit the jumping position and jump from there. When the movement pattern si ingrained correctly, you ca start to speed things up from the floor.

Smile Update

starting strength coach development program
    Marginally better on the rack I think, but still have some work before these look pretty.

Reps were pretty inconsistent across all the sets. This is set #5 at 175#.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast