starting strength gym

Thread: Squat stalling on Texas Method

Default Squat stalling on Texas Method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I started SS in march to increase my strength, starting with a decent base. I worked my SSLP from 245 to 350. A couple months ago I started Texas Method and have been squatting 3 days a week Volume, recovery, intensity. On my intensity day I have stalled at 380 1x4 for a couple weeks. This video is my second week of stalIing got 3 decent reps and was a little high on 4 and really high on my 5th rep. It appears to me that I have some knee slide that I haven't noticed on my other days with lighter weights. I fought hard with my knees caving during my LP but had it worked out.

YouTube

my friend,
    I'm not a coach, and I'm not sure,
    It might just be hard to see with the dark shorts,
    but, I think they're all a little high, the 5th being the worse

You're on your toes too. Get your knees out hard and get your butt back.

I would switch to 2x3 on intensity day per "running it out" in PPST3.

Try to get your knees forward as soon as you can. Once you get them into position at about 1/3 of the way down, it will let you take greater advantage of your hamstrings as you drive out of the hole

In addition to everything said thus far, your descent could be a little faster, provided you stay tight and braced. I think you could go down significantly faster without compromising tightness.

How much weight are you using for volume and do you have video's of those sets? I'm curious how you're handling lighter weight. It didn't look to me like you hit depth in any of those reps.

Do you feel any straining in your back (spinal erectors) when you do these reps?

last week was 330 5x5 which is 87% of intensity day. I don't have any videos of my volume day squats right now. Everything had been feeling good so I hadn't been recording. Yes, I do feel pulling in my low back on these sets.

Here is a video at 340 1x3. It is from about 2 months ago when I was nearing the end of my LP. Sorry for the orientation of it. It automatically changed when I uploaded it to YouTube.

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by TS310 View Post
    last week was 330 5x5 which is 87% of intensity day. I don't have any videos of my volume day squats right now. Everything had been feeling good so I hadn't been recording. Yes, I do feel pulling in my low back on these sets.
    Ok, 87% is fine. Only asked about the pulling because it looked like your back was collapsing/straining in the 380x5 video.

Quote Originally Posted by TS310 View Post
    Here is a video at 340 1x3. It is from about 2 months ago when I was nearing the end of my LP. Sorry for the orientation of it. It automatically changed when I uploaded it to YouTube.

YouTube
    From what I can see, those look really good. Is that the way all of your 5x5 sets all look?

The 380x5 set doesn't seem to reach the same depth and because you're able to cut it short the way you did is a good indicator (to me) to take a slight deload and get the form dialed back in. On an intensity heavy program like TM, I used to record all of my intensity sets and look for any signs of problems. If my form broke down or I didn't reach depth, I'd call it a technical failure and would treat it as a failed lift.

starting strength coach development program
    As far as my back collapsing, do I need to brace harder? Yes, my depth on my 5x5 sets is the same as the second video I posted. I do occasionally feel the straining in my back on those sets but it is generally the last couple reps of my final set or 2. How large of a deload would you recommend? I did some research on TUBOW and have been trying that without any weight trying to get my knees set earlier and lock them in.