starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for some dedicated quad work (front squats)?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Squats.
    Presumably at a lighter weight, though, until more upper back strength, and hamstring control, develop? Perhaps a little extra overall volume (for practice, and since the weight itself is a bit easier)?

See how your elbows start "up" and then "drop" and then go back "up"? That is usually an indication that you aren't holding the bar correctly and your your upper back is rounding a bit. It's hard to tell what's going on as the bar on your back and your hands are hidden due to the angle of this video.

Also, watch your knees, especially as the set progresses. See how they shoot forward more and more? You're getting soft in the hole and loosing your hamstring tension. Don't let your knees pop forward like that.
    Well, took some weight off the bar and at least figured out the elbow issue. Turns out I'd been trying to force too narrow a grip in the name of upper back tightness and that was pulling on all the wrong things. In some ways it was the squatting equivalent tightening a gasket too tight such that it loses its effectiveness.

Shoulder didn't feel perfect, but the extreme pain stayed away.

YouTube

I did a double at the end, experimenting with getting my torso a little more horizontal, to see if that would help keep the knees from going forward, which looked a little better (but not perfect):

YouTube

The second video showed better squats. Your knees did not go so far forward nor were you as upright. You went a little too deep and still have a tendency to raise your head.

The second video showed better squats. Your knees did not go so far forward nor were you as upright. You went a little too deep and still have a tendency to raise your head.
    Yea, definitely saw the excessive depth on that last one. Have to concentrate a bit more on the head thing, since I hadn't given it much thought.

Tried some higher weight/lower rep sets to start. 2x3 @ 325. Thought that the knees looked a little better and I didn't come off my heels as much. Weight was probably a little high, since my back doesn't appear as rigid as I'd like it to:

YouTube

Back off sets (2x5@295) were a little sloppy on the form front, but I was a bit worn out by the time the second rolled around:

YouTube

Keeping upper back in extension is still an issue that may require more lower weight work, but focusing on "nipples to the floor" a little more does force me to push the hips back to a greater degree.

Thanks again for the tips, Jeff!

You should put the hooks one notch lower - it'll help you get tighter under the bar from the beginning.

These are pretty solid, but you still need to work on tightness. You also sometime sort of collapse at the bottom (you can see how you let your hamstring smoosh into your calves and push your knees forward on some of the reps). You'd benefit from a belt.

You should put the hooks one notch lower - it'll help you get tighter under the bar from the beginning.

These are pretty solid, but you still need to work on tightness. You also sometime sort of collapse at the bottom (you can see how you let your hamstring smoosh into your calves and push your knees forward on some of the reps). You'd benefit from a belt.
    Good tip on the hooks, will DEFINITELY be trying that.

I need to learn how to limit depth a little better, since some of these went too deep I think, and also get used to proper form with some lighter weights (somewhere between 275 and 300). I have specific reasons (though frequently ridiculed here) for going unbelted, but I'm still confident I can figure this out without.

There's nothing specifically wrong with lifting without a belt. However, most people learn how to get tight better when using a belt which then makes your beltless work more controlled.

Tried lowering the hooks today, but that in and of itself seemed to make little difference. Knees still aren't as motionless as they should be, but I don't see the same kind of forward weight shift I was previously and the shoulder is getting better so I'm going to keep the lower position for next week to see how it goes.

Set two was probably the best set:

YouTube

Set three showed some fatigue:

YouTube

I only posted it because the direct side view brought up another question: Am I un-racking the bar with my feet too far back? It would make sense that my back rounds a bit in the upright position if I'm starting with the bar forward of mid foot, no?

May need to widen stance a little again to control depth, thoughts?

starting strength coach development program
    Think I need to move the hooks back up; don't seem to be seeing much ROI and my back starts to cramp up a bit when trying to take the bar from the lower position. I do think that taking the bar with my feet a little further forward helped a bit.

Surprising level of knee wobble (vs slide) today; not sure what that means, but am thinking about another weight reduction. Two triples at 320 and two fives at 295, one of each shown...

YouTube

YouTube

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast