• starting strength seminar august 2024
    First time posting -

Here's my stats:
    Female
    36 yrs old
    5'9" at 155lbs
    Just starting LP

YouTube

Possible issues: Knee slide? Bar not low enough on back? Torso too loose?

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much.

This is a tough angle to critique from. If you could get a video with the camera more at hip height and a little more off to the side, it would help. That being said, these are pretty solid squats. You're knees do have a tendency to cave in and you need to work on that. I think they may also be sliding too far forward, but it's hard to be sure from this angle. You do have good back extension (though there's nothing wrong with working at getting tighter - or wearing a belt). The bar might be a little high on your back (again, tough angle to be sure), but it's not by much.

Does your squat rack have a mountain view or something?

Thanks for the comments. I will try to get a better video tomorrow and repost. I just ordered a belt and so will try that when it arrives.

I train at a place called D1 Sports in Birmingham, AL. All the squat racks are in front of sliding, glass garage doors. We mostly keep them open so yes, I have a mountain view.

On some of these reps when your knees are starting to cave, your weight is being distributed to the internal portion of your foot disproportionately, and you can see part of your shoes coming off the floor. Try going a tiny bit narrower and maybe pointing your toes out a little bit more to see if that helps put the balance point directly in the center of your foot.

Mountain views at the squat rack! That sounds pretty amazing.

Will do. Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Phoenix Pennisi View Post
    On some of these reps when your knees are starting to cave, your weight is being distributed to the internal portion of your foot disproportionately, and you can see part of your shoes coming off the floor. Try going a tiny bit narrower and maybe pointing your toes out a little bit more to see if that helps put the balance point directly in the center of your foot.
    I would not adjust the stance, just work at keeping the knees out. If the feet were more rolled at the beginning or if the knees caved earlier, I would agree on the stance. However, the knees are caving on ascent which is more an issues of not keeping them out as opppsed to incorrect stance.

I just posted todays last set. Should I have put it in this thread or started a new one? I started a new one before it occurred to me that I should have put it here.

starting strength coach development program
    I would've said a few things:
    1) I would've adjusted the stance by bring the heels in just slightly.
    2) It looks like you may be trying to squat with a vertical back, bc ur heels lift up on the ascent. Shove your hips back and think "heels". (But ultimately think about getting the weight evenly distributed over the whole foot.)
    3) Towards the end of the set, I'd suggest staying in your hips slightly longer and stop lifting your chest.
    4) I'd say your actually hyperextending the back on these. Just take a big deep breath and brace and stay tight; don't exaggerate the back extension. (I think this is related to your trying to squat with a vertical back angle.)