starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    These look more solid than the last set you posted. You start with your hips just a touch low (see how they rise a bit before the bar starts to break from the ground?). Work on leading up with the chest more. You can still get a little tighter. Work on pulling faster, and a little more "back", as the rep progresses. Tight and slow as it breaks the ground and then speed the pull up (while keeping tight) as it comes up your legs.

Yes, rep 5 looked pretty rough (but better than the video you posted yesterday). Again, what's your recovery like? How much rest do you take between sets? How's your grip? Are you using chalk? Do you have a belt?

I rest on the days between workouts. I take between 4-5 minutes between sets. The grip feels ok. The bar is not slipping in my hands. I do use chalk and I ordered a belt but its not here yet.

I noticed that about my hips when I watched the video. I feel like now I am over thinking a little. Cue's just running around in my head.

I hadn't thought much about speed.

I feel like I should try this weight again on Friday. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by mlga View Post
    I feel like I should try this weight again on Friday. Right?
    Are you working up to a single heavy set of 5 or are you doing 3 sets across? It should be one heavy set.

I'd plan on adding 5 pounds and see how that works. If it does, great. If it doesn't, on your next deadlift day, drop the weight back down.

Just one heavy set.

Just checking. If it was after the set of squats you posted today, you may have been more gassed than usual from that work. If you're going to drop a few pounds off your squat on the next work out, I wouldn't plan on holding back on the deadlift (especially since you have fewer form issues going on).

If you haven't already, do some experimenting with when and what you eat before you lift. My wife's training sessions are much more variable than mine are if she eats too soon or too late before lifting.

Will do. I know I need to eat more, especially pre/post workout.

I started tracking and am only eating about 1500kcal/day. Need to shoot for more like 2500 so its an adjustment. Years of habits to break.

Here's my work set from today. 1x5 @185

I can see that as the set progressive the technique deteriorates. Especially lumbar extension.

Things I tried to remember:
    1. Chest and hips up at start
    2. No bar movement at start
    3. Slow off the ground and then faster (this did not happen)

YouTube

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate any feedback.

Set the bar down faster. You're burning more energy than you need to easing it to the ground.

Watch as the set progresses, your hips get a little higher each time and your shins more vertical. This is making the lift get harder and contributing to your back rounding. Make sure you get re-set to match your first rep. Most people need to think about raising their hips, but you probably need to think about lowering them just a bit as the set progresses.

Your bar speed is pretty good. The "easiest" way to work on speeding the pull up is to really pull hard the last two inches and work on increasing speed at the top.

You may need to narrow your stance just touch yet.

starting strength coach development program
    I will write all this down and try again on Monday.

Do I go up in weight or try this one again with attempts at form fixes? Same question on squats.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast