starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The squats are a bigger fix than the deadlift. I'm almost certain you could go up as planned on the deadlift. The squat, I'm not for sure. You're certainly strong enough to make it all work, but it's possible to wear yourself out in the process of fixing these issues. My default answer to this sort of question would be to film every set you do, starting with your empty bar warmup and then watch it as soon as you're done. Do your normal warmups and plan on going up in weight as normal. However, if you can't hold your form together (like 90% correct), than you won't go up in weight. Does that make sense? It's pretty much what a coach would be doing in real time.

Yes, that makes sense. I have been videoing and watching all my sets and I can already see that I am getting better at identifying form errors. I kind of get in my own head and a little self conscious which definitely is not helping. I will keep working. I am enjoying the process so that's something.

Thanks again for all your help. It's been immeasurably helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mlga View Post
    I kind of get in my own head and a little self conscious which definitely is not helping. I will keep working. I am enjoying the process so that's something.
    It's good you catch this. It happens to everyone. Just check out Leah's log, post #1534 for a very recent example.

Quote Originally Posted by mlga View Post
    Thanks again for all your help. It's been immeasurably helpful.
    Glad to help. I'm working on being a better coach - so it's a two-way street!

Hey Jeff,

One more question - I am supposed to feel tension in my hamstrings at the set up for DL? (After I grab the bar, bend my knees and shift my shins forward to the bar). I don't feel anything in my hamstrings in that position. I have super flexible hamstrings (former dancer) so I am wondering if this may be contributing to my hips getting higher and higher or is it just a lack of proprioception and practice?

Thanks!
    Margaret

Margaret,

You probably won't feel much in your hamstrings unless you're really sore or something along those lines. I'm actually usually pretty tight and I often don't "feel" my hamstrings during the deadlift. Being particularly flexible may contribute to having higher hips, but I think it may be more anthropomorphic. My wife is a retired dancer who's stupid flexible, but she actually tends to end up with really low hips. You look like you have longish legs which means your hips will be a little high. I will warn you, though, you may actually feel deadlifts in your hamstrings the first few times you do them as you fix your squat form (keeping your knees back in the squat is a hammy-dominant process).

That being said it's really more an issue of practice - especially since you start in the right position and gradually drift out of it. Part of it is how the bar is coming to rest at the end of each rep. You're easing it down in an almost stiff-legged deadlift form so it keeps getting closer to your shins, your shins end up more vertical, and your hips get higher. Make sure you really feel where the bar is on your shin on your first pull and glance at where it is in relation to your feet. At the end of each rep, get the bar back to this position before you start your next pull.

Jeff.

Jeff,

That's super helpful info. Thanks. I kind of get in a hurry to get through the reps so I think I just need to be more patient with each set up and pull. Also, faster on the way down.

Should I keep posting after every workout or practice for a while on my own and then ask for advice? I am not sure what the protocol is on the forums (don't want to take advantage) and I also don't want to get too far down the wrong path.

Margaret

starting strength coach development program
    Posting is up to you. I know up in the Coach's Q&A, they ask that people not post too often. I don't know that there is an etiquette about posting regularly in here. I say post as often as you want. If you want more feed back, but don't want to post, shoot me a message and I'll be glad to check your videos.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123