• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there,

Male,
    42y.o
    179cm (5ft9)
    74kg(163lb)

I'd appreciate any tips/feedback on my form. I've only been lifting a few months and regularly film myself but have only posted my squat form video here for a check so far. I took the advice from that thread and went ahead got myself a pair of proper shoes which I wore for the first time this evening - they're pretty good

Apologies for the light, it might be a little dark.

I was lifting 77.5kg - 1 x 5

Many thanks in advance,
    Matt

Your stance is too wide. Narriw it, turn your feet out more, and drive your knees out. Get a video at a more oblique angle, pleaae. It looks like your low back is not in extension and you may be off in your relationship to the bar.

You might move your heels in an inch.

I really can't tell from this angle, but I suspect you're not squeezing your chest up enough/getting your lower back flat. Get more of a 45 degree or side view.

Next, drag the bar up your legs. The bar should be contacting your shins at the start of the rep and it must stay in contact with your legs all the way up.

Don't shrug your shoulders at the top. Just stand up and lift your chest slightly.

Give that a go and report back.

Mia/Jeff

Thank you both for your comments. I noticed the shrug myself and will try and eliminate this. I'll work on the other points regarding chest and legs too and post another video at a better angle next time. Jeff, could you please explain what you mean by "you may be off in your relationship to the bar"?

Many Thanks

Just checking, you have read the deadlift chapter?

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Just checking, you have read the deadlift chapter?
    Yes I have read it once, albeit only once, and have watched Rips videos online a number of times. I probably need to go back and reread the chapter on deadlifts - I'm sure I missed a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by samuraimilkman View Post
    Jeff, could you please explain what you mean by "you may be off in your relationship to the bar"?
    You may be too far back from the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    You may be too far back from the bar.
    Thanks Jeff.

Below is my set from this evening's workout - 80 kg - along with the warm up set of 70kg (I haven't posted 60). I tried to focus on actually dragging the bar up my legs tonight.

80kg felt quite heavy, my grip isn't that strong so I was concentrating on that, too. I also still seem to have a little bit of a shrug going. I'm wondering if I need to drop the weight a little and get my form improved a little. Any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by samuraimilkman View Post
    Thanks Jeff.

Below is my set from this evening's workout - 80 kg - along with the warm up set of 70kg (I haven't posted 60). I tried to focus on actually dragging the bar up my legs tonight.

80kg felt quite heavy, my grip isn't that strong so I was concentrating on that, too. I also still seem to have a little bit of a shrug going. I'm wondering if I need to drop the weight a little and get my form improved a little. Any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Sorry, forgot to put the videos in
    80kg DL

70kg DL

starting strength coach development program
    Please read and follow the 5-step deadlift setup article.

Can you get a video more from the side? It looks like you aren't getting your low back locked in extension, but I'm having a hard time telling from this angle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast