starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Recheck -

Default Squat Recheck -

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here is today's last work set. I tried to make the changes suggested yesterday.

One question - should the last work set be this difficult or should it be slightly easier? I feel like I would fail if I tried even one more rep.

Thanks in advance.

Squat Check #2 Sept 27, 2017 - YouTube

You're doing a much better job of not letting your knees knock in. They are, however, going too far forward. Use a TUBOW the next time you squat (starting with your empty bar warm up). I can't tell for sure, but I think the bar may be just a touch high on your back. You could work on being a little more aggressive on your ascent.

As far as difficulty - it depends. What's your progress been like for the last several sessions? Getting enough rest? Food? Recovery in general? What's your warm-up scheme?

Didn't you say that you just started LP? If this is like 1st week of LP, I would say these are more difficult than they normally would be, ASSUMING of course that your not doing WOD's in the afternoon, and going vegan, while cutting, while having 2 jobs and going to school, etc.... Assuming you're not doing all that other stuff, then you probably just started off too heavy. Otherwise, if you've been running LP for a couple months, then sure they'll get this slow.

Form-wise, I like your stance on this set better than the last (heels a touch closer). I'd say your still coming up on your toes just a touch on a few reps, which is probably the result of continuing to squat with a more vertical torso, WHICH may or may not be the result of carrying the bar too high up on your back (I can't quite tell from this angle: a little higher and just another 5 degrees to your right would be gewwwwd).

Thanks guys. I will keep working.

Warm up: 2x5 @45, 1X5@95, 1X3@135, 1X1@155

I am going back off to work sets around 145 and see if I can get all these form issues sorted out. This set felt so heavy that I couldn't think about much but getting the weight up.

I am not doing anything except the LP. Trying to eat more.

How long you been doing LP?

Here's my last set from today.

Things I tried to think about:
    1. Master Cue
    2. Bigger breath to start
    3. More aggressive ascent
    4. Knee slide

YouTube

The big issues is that you're still very much into your knees. I'd recommend giving a TUBOW a try.

You have good thoracic extension. Your low back gets a little round and your knees start to cave near the end. It's a fatigue issue and as long as it's not happening at the end of each of your work sets, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I will do TUBOW next time on my work sets for sure. I just have to recruit someone to help me. I did it on some warm up air squats and could definitely feel/see the slide which I was able to correct but I guess it didn't transfer into the work sets.

Thanks again for all your help.

Knee slide can be such biatch to fix. TUBOW and tempos, or both, can help. I like tempos bc they give me time to think about what to do with my body so as to not let my knees come forward at the bottom. Driving the knees out and sitting back into your hips at the bottom is what it should feel like.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks. I am writing all this down and trying to remember and apply it.

Have a great weekend!