Thread: OH Press Form Check

Default OH Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This is my last set of 5x3 at 80#.

Thanks in advance.

YouTube

Several things here. First, your wrists should be straighter, right now they're rolled back too much. Your elbows should also be a little bit more forward.

You generally need to "get bigger". Before you unrack the bar, and especially after you step back and get ready for the first rep, lift your chest, swell yourself up, look up a little. Squeeze everything, particularly your thighs, butt, and abs. Work on your timing between the hip snap and the start of the press - the hips snap forward, the bar dips, start pressing. And press UP, you're drifting forward and around your head. Doing the foregoing will take care of most of it. Dialing in your form will add a dozen pounds pretty quick.

Ok. Thanks. I will try all those things. I could feel my wrists weren't right because they felt kind of sore after the set.

Thanks again for taking the time to help. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mlga View Post
    I could feel my wrists weren't right because they felt kind of sore after the set.
    Work on adjusting your gripping process. Put your palm on top of the bar, with straight wrists (your elbows will be raised up and to the sides) with the bar running from the knuckle where your index finger meets your palm to the opposite side of your palm where it meets the wrist. Squeeze hard and as you step forward and dip under the bar, don't let your wrists bend, make the bar turn in the rack.

Will do. Thanks.

Expanding on what Jeff was saying about keeping the bar close, think about brushing/touching your nose with the bar. I find this fixed bar path issues quite well.

Yea I'd say the grip width is too wide as well. The angle of video doesn't permit me to say this with 100% accuracy, but I'm pretty sure your forearms aren't vertical from an anterior/posterior view. And for sure the bar is back in your upper palm as opposed to resting on the base.

Programming-wise, is there a reason you switched to 3s? The bar speed looked fairly quick but I have no idea what your training history looks like.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks. I can see all the corrections when I rewatch the video.

I will work on all those things when I do OH Press next week.

The 3's were just for the video. I did 5s on the work sets but forgot to film. Then rested and did the 3 for the video.