starting strength gym

Thread: Front squat form check?

Default Front squat form check?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Tried out front squats for the first time today, but not really sure if I'm doing things right. I did three sets of 5 at 185 and two doubles at 205. Probably could have handled a little more weight but wanted to first get a sense of how much work my technique needed.

Like the back squat, I'm still somehow shifting weight forward in the hole, which I thought would result in dropping the bar with a front squat, but apparently not... These are the second and third of my fives, and the first double:

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

Shifting forward enough will cause the bar to drop. You aren't shifting forward that much. Hard to tell from this angle, but you probably need to widen your stance a little bit.

And here I was thinking I was going too wide... I'll try and get it from a more rearward angle next time.

In general, any idea what % of one's back squat they should be able to front squat?

Maybe try Tempo Squats for a few sets to practice balancing on your whole foot. Also, front squatting can require a tad bit more mobility than BS's, but that just means the more frequently you front squat the better you'll get at that.