starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all. I was wondering if you would mind critiquing my low bar squat technique. I previously squatted with a higher bar position that would rarely stay balanced over mid foot and I would bottom out as evidenced by the second video, which is of my second attempt at my first powerlifting event. I think these look better, but a second opinion is always appreciated. Thanks in advance!

YouTube

YouTube

I'd say they look pretty solid. My only comment would be that you look to be coming just slightly up on your toes and knees are coming a touch forward at the bottom. (This is probably bc of your history with high bar.) Hold your knees back, send your hips back a little more, and work on staying balanced over the whole foot (it might help to think "heels" at first).

Thank you.

You can do better with your upper back.

Thanks. Good article.

I tried focusing on keeping my weight centered over mid foot and on squeezing my back. Let me know what you guys think.

YouTube

Keep your head down and come up faster on the ascent.

You are breaking your knees before your hips. They need to break at the same time. Work on keeping your chest puffed out. Push your hips back. Stay on the middle of your foot. You're currently rocking on your toes and the weight is shifting forward of the midfoot.

starting strength coach development program
    Do you mean use the bounce more? I would love to come up faster, but the weight dictates how fast I can move during the ascent.

I did see the rock on the last rep. I remember feeling more back strain on that rep. I can't see the rock on the others. Are you seeing something on those as well? Just curious so I can learn to identify it myself.

I am having a hard time with the chest puffed out cue. Whenever I try to do that, I tend to lift my head more than even here, and I get even more into my quads and out of my hips. I try to squeeze my shoulder blades together as hard as possible, but I'm guessing that is not producing the same effect based on your comments. Any other cues that would help get me into the correct position?

Thanks for the comments and help all!