starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check 172,5kg x5 (380lbs)

Default Deadlift form check 172,5kg x5 (380lbs)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone,

Can you please assess my deadlift form? I've been resorting to a more rounded upper-back which feels great and I think I'm keeping the mid and lower back pretty tight but best to get other opinions.

YouTube

Thanks in advance!!

You round your back pretty good on these. Don't do that. You seem to not follow the 5 step deadlift setup. So you're dropping your hips and yanking the bar up with a rounded back. This is a recipe for disaster. You need to follow the setup to the letter, step by step.

Try using the "squeeze your chest up" cue to help set your back. That will also help you from rounding your thoracic spine. Alternatively, thinking about twerking with your butt helps some people as well.

Quote Originally Posted by El Rojo View Post
    I've been resorting to a more rounded upper-back which feels great and I think I'm keeping the mid and lower back pretty tight but best to get other opinions.
    Ahh, apologies, didn't read that bit. Some advanced lifters opt for keeping their thoracic spines rounded on purpose on heavy pulls, though it's not advised for people who are learning the lifts. That being said, 380 is starting to get pretty heavy and you are probably on your way out of the novice progression, if you aren't already, so in that case I think it's fair to experiment, though with caution

Hey El Rojo,

Point your toes out and get your knees out into your elbows. This will do some of what you are doing by rounding the upper back. See if you can do that with a tight upper back.

If you are going to round the upper back, I'd rather you be stable at the start of the deadlift. You don't want motion in your back off the floor. But, at 380, I'd rather fix your toes first. Don't be so eager to get to advanced techniques.

Also: IF you are going to round the upper back AND let the barbell drift away from your shins, you are losing the benefit of the technique.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you all for the great insights.

Karl, I've tried the knees out cue. I find that I have to grab wider this way. Is that a problem? I don't believe I'm such a big guy that I need to set my grip a fist away from the smooth.

Regarding the barbell drifting away is there any other technique flaw that I should adress or it's just a matter of trying to drag the bar up my shins and contracting the lats?