starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Depth is questionable, but please critique all.

YouTube

Yep, your depth is shallow. Can you get video from the rear 45 degree angle? I suspect that your depth issue is tied in part to your stance, but I can't really see where your feet are placed. There are some other issues as well:

1). Pull the rack about a foot further from the wall (or squat from the other direction).
    2). Set the hooks one notch lower in the rack.
    3). Lower the safety bars one hole.
    4). You need to get a whole lot tighter. You're sort of twisting and flopping around. When you get set to squat, take a very deep breath (through your mouth) like you're going to dive to the bottom a pool and stay there for a few minutes. Squeeze your abs hard so they press against the belt. Hold this through the entire rep.
    5). Keep your knees back at the bottom of the squat. I think they are shooting forward as you attempt to hit depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Yep, your depth is shallow. Can you get video from the rear 45 degree angle? I suspect that your depth issue is tied in part to your stance, but I can't really see where your feet are placed. There are some other issues as well:

1). Pull the rack about a foot further from the wall (or squat from the other direction).
    2). Set the hooks one notch lower in the rack.
    3). Lower the safety bars one hole.
    4). You need to get a whole lot tighter. You're sort of twisting and flopping around. When you get set to squat, take a very deep breath (through your mouth) like you're going to dive to the bottom a pool and stay there for a few minutes. Squeeze your abs hard so they press against the belt. Hold this through the entire rep.
    5). Keep your knees back at the bottom of the squat. I think they are shooting forward as you attempt to hit depth.
    Thank you for your help!
    I am currently moving my garage gym around and I will get a better angle and face away from the wall.

Are you suspecting my stance is too narrow?

I like the cue to take a deal breath and push for a sec before squatting and I will try that on Sunday when I squat again

The angle of the camera might be why you think I need to move the hooks down but I think that might be too low but I will try it, and I will move down the safety pins

Is there a cue to make sure I keep my knees back? I don't feel that when squatting and I am wondering if there is something I can focus on to fix it

Thanks again!

Yes, I think your stance might be narrow - mostly because that's often the cause of shallow squats.

The best cue for the knees is to use the Master Cue and really focus on that (actually, that's the best singe cue for all sorts of things!). The next best is to use a TUBOW.

After watching your video again, I completely missed the fact that you're not getting bent over and driving with your hips.

After watching the tubow video, I know your right... I am going to do a few warm up squats with the bar on Sunday with a tubow and all the other stuff mentioned and retake the video