starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check

Default Squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First time posting, started with the empty bar last February. This 3rd set at 230

YouTube

Thanks for looking! John

Remember the Master Cue! Also, get bent over more, you are very upright. I think your stance and grip should be adjusted, but can't tell fir sure from this video.

For future reference, don't wear all black for form checks. Can't see the crease in your hip to judge depth.

Otherwise, you need to get tighter especially in your upper back. Think "proud chest" or "chest up" like your trying to bri g your chest to your chin using only your back muscles.

Next, you're on your heels in your descent, get your nipples pointed at the floor and knees shoved out by the first 1/3 of your descent. Fixing these positional errors will probably help your balance issue.

Lastly, get some sort of satety in case you fail. People have used sturdy saw horses with a setup similar to yours. A full power cage would be ideal though.

Wow, thanks for the quick responses and great advice. I'll work on that this week and try and get a new video up next week to show my progress

Quote Originally Posted by Johnski View Post
    First time posting, started with the empty bar last February. This 3rd set at 230

YouTube

Thanks for looking! John
    Also, you started in February? That's 9 months doing the program, i.e. not doing the program. So this article may be relevant as well: The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Also, you started in February? That's 9 months doing the program, i.e. not doing the program. So this article may be relevant as well: The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe
    Yes, I've read that article, it's great and has definitely applies to me. I think of it as more like 6 months because of the stops and starts I've had due to life getting in the way. At 38 with work and family, etc. things happen. But despite that I'm very pleased with my progress. Amazing thing about this program is that despite messing up the technique and the program due to inconsistency, I've still managed to put on muscle and increase all my lifts!

And thanks for your comments on my deadlift as well

John