starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris76 View Post
    I was gonna stay at this weight for at least another workout but I might try what you said. I am still trying to get my weight up more like you said. I am not really sure how accurate bodyfat calipers for 10$ are but I figure if I get up to 160 within a couple of weeks I might be somewhere around 15 to 20% I am 5ft5" on a good day and almost 42 but I ve noticed how important technique is. I thought 140lbs was gonna crush me almost so I filmed my next set and corrected what I could see I was doing with my back angle to far forward and changing during to rep. And I ve noticed technique improvements and I ve been able to add more weight to the bar each session
    Form is important yes, and so is gaining weight. If you're not gaining weight, your progression is going to be much slower and stop much sooner than if you were gaining weight. You can still stand to gain at least 15-20 more pounds at your height, assuming your body fat levels don't exceed the low 20%s. Body fat calipers are ok but waist measurements and pictures are going to be better. If you're not sure what your diet should look like, check out this article: To Be A Beast | Barbell Medicine

Note: Jordan has recently said he would lower the protein numbers to more closely resemble 1g/lb of bodyweight.

No Starting Strength gyms around here. I think there's a seminar this month about three or four hours away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    You can still stand to gain at least 15-20 more pounds at your height, assuming your body fat levels don't exceed the low 20%s. of bodyweight.
    My mistake. I misread what you said you weigh. You could stand to gain around 30 more pounds.

I weigh about 150lbs now and I just squat 170lbs for 3sets of 5reps you seen my last work set . I can weigh 155 by Tuesday if I want. I am not sure what you mean ( shoot for 175 over six mounths) work sets or bodyweight?
    Bodyweight. Basically aim to gain a pound a week.

No Starting Strength gyms around here. I think there's a seminar this month about three or four hours away.
    The Woodmere one? If you can afford to do it with late notice I would.

I'm assuming you've looked here: https://startingstrength.org/site/coaches
    Last edited by Ben Patterson; 10-01-2017 at 02:31 PM.

oh yea I am pacing the weight gain. In the past month I ve put on alittle over 10lbs and I ve gotta be about 15% now and I ve never trained my squat or deadlift and maybe I ve imaging things but I think the muscles in my thys are growing

Yea the Woodmear one

Well I ll see how I feel on Tuesday and I may squat 170lbs again and try for better depth and over all form but maybe go up 5lbs anyway, not sure. I am almost wondering about 2.5 lb jumps on Sunday and Thursday with a lighter squat day on Tuesday where I would squat 80 or maybe ever 70% of Mondays weight? But it may be alittle early for that, I think maybe.

Well I ll see how I feel on Tuesday and I may squat 170lbs again and try for better depth and over all form but maybe go up 5lbs anyway, not sure. I am almost wondering about 2.5 lb jumps on Sunday and Thursday with a lighter squat day on Tuesday where I would squat 80 or maybe ever 70% of Mondays weight? But it may be alittle early for that, I think maybe.
    It's way early, for either of those things. I'm sorry if this cones off as rude, but fuck your feelings. Do 175 and implement the corrections. It will get heavy and it will suck, but you carry on and you add weight. You can hit depth with this weight, so you will. It isn't that heavy yet. Yes form is important, but you don't want to get caught in the cycle of repeating weights until it feels good.

starting strength coach development program
    ok man no offense taken. I appreciate the advise, I probly will go for 175lbs I ll try and post a video.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast